Re-elected incumbent departs for new college

0
''

By Ben Markley

The college’s first-ever reelected student senate president resigned from his position before beginning his second term.
Corey Paris, former Student Senate president, resigned this summer and left the college to attend Western Connecticut State University.
Mindy Kinnaman, Student Senate adviser, said she was aware of his plans to resign months ago.

“Corey came to us in May and said he wouldn’t be coming back in the fall,” Kinnaman said. “He said he wanted to explore some new opportunities.”
Prior to the April election, Paris said that he had applied to a few schools, but he was not anticipating being accepted into them.
“When I ran for the presidency, when I was reelected for president, I never knew I would be leaving,” Paris said. “If I’d known, I wouldn’t have ran.”
Paris said there were many personal factors to his decision that he felt would be unnecessary to pick apart but ultimately led him to choose WCSU.
“You’ve got to play the cards you’re dealt with,” Paris said.
Erick Mbembati, Student Senate vice president, will serve in Paris’ stead for the next month but has declined permanent presidency. He said he preferred vice presidential duties.
“I really like working with clubs and organizations,” Mbembati said. “I didn’t want to become president and lose that community.”
Nominations for a new president will begin Sept. 12, followed by an election Sept. 26.
Mbembati believes that Paris’ absence will not significantly affect Student Senate. He said that Paris had prepared Mbembati to operate without him.
“We’re missing him as a person,” Mbembati said, “but we can still function.”
Paris moved to Connecticut to attend WCSU where he said he hopes to continue working in public service. However, he said he sees this school year as a time of retirement from public office.
“I want to see what it’s like to be a regular student,” he said.
Paris encouraged his critics to move on rather than dwell on his departure. He said that under his leadership, Student Senate changed for the best.
“What they can never deny is that we worked very hard for the students of Johnson County Community College,” Paris said. “I think we did a damn good job.”

Contact Ben Markley, news assignment editor, at bmarkle2@jccc.edu.

''

NO COMMENTS