Q & A with Kenji Williams: ‘Bella Gaia’ inspiration

0
''

By Rachel Luchmun

Kenji Williams is the driving force behind “Bella Gaia,” which will be shown at Yardley Hall on Nov. 3.

Where did your inspiration for “Bella Gaia” come from?

The genesis of “Bella Gaia” was at the end of 2005 during a trip to Kazakhstan to look at the launch of a Russian rocket. I met an astronaut who had spent time in space and asked him how his experience had changed him. He said that before he went into space, as a scientist he looked at other planets; but when he was in space, he saw Earth and it became his favorite planet. This simple story inspired me to do something about the transformative power of Earth seen from space.

What was your next step?

I found myself at NASA where I met some scientists and was welcomed by them. They gave me both support and content. They fed me content in the form of NASA satellite images, time lapses of arctic ice melting, gas emissions, and the like.

What exactly is “Bella Gaia?”

It is a mix of scientific information, pictures, people’s ideas of gaia – earth as whole, with different cultural aspects. There is live music and dancing on stage. Pictures are projected in high definition as backdrop. It is hard to describe in words – it is an immersive experience.

How has the general public reacted to “Bella Gaia?”

Since its launch in 2009, it amazes me how this show spans cultures – we’ve had shows in Hong Kong, Japan, the Philippines. There are very little spoken words. “Bella Gaia” is an emotional experience – an emotional, personal connection with the planet. I just came back from the UNESCO in Paris, where there was a huge international audience, 125 countries. They told me it was a new experience, a new perspective, which was very powerful. Astronauts say “Bella Gaia” brings them back to space.

“Bella Gaia – Beautiful Earth” will be on show at 7 p.m. on November 3 at Yardley Hall. Tickets will be available at the door. Coverage of the show will be available on the Campus Ledger website at http://www.campusledger.com.

Contact Rachel Luchmun, staff reporter, at rluchmun@jccc.edu.

''