Ron Paul, Kathy Gingrich Lubbers speak at Overland Park caucus site

0
Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas
''
Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas

Article and photos by Mackenzie Clark

This morning kicked off the Kansas Republican Caucus. In attendance at Shawnee Mission West High School were Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, and daughter of former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, Kathy Gingrich Lubbers.

Also in attendance were Lt. Gov. Jeff Colyer and representatives for Republican candidates Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum, Kansas State Reps. Amanda Grosserode (R-16) and Greg Smith (R-22), and supporters of Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-KS).

Paul was the first speaker at 10 a.m.

“I have been in and out of Congress for over 30 years, but I am known for measuring every vote I’ve ever taken by the Constitution,” Paul said. “I believe if we had more people who read the Constitution, who go to Washington and obey the Constitution, we would not be in the trouble that we are today.”

Paul’s speech was well-received by much of the audience.

“He respects liberty, in both from conception to natural death,” said Nicholas Clow, Paul supporter. “I do like that he’s pro-life and I also like that he did talk about economic freedom, which I think is a dwindling topic in today’s society, and I do think it’s an important one. He also talked about the importance of letting people decide what’s moral for themselves. This is important in response to gay marriage because while I’m opposed to it on moral grounds I do believe that people have the right to choose.”

Listen to Paul’s full speech here: http://snd.sc/yw73Tz

Kathy Gingrich Lubbers

Lubbers spoke on her father’s behalf at 11:30 a.m.

“I’m here today to say thank you for being here,” she said. “Our job is to consider who is going to be the best person to beat Barack Obama in the fall, and I can tell you from my heart and from personal experience why I think my father, Newt Gingrich, is that individual.”

Listen to Lubbers’ full speech here: http://snd.sc/wYBSGN

As of 6:53 p.m., the Associated Press is declaring Santorum the winner of the caucus.

“He best fits my faith and what I believe, and I think he will get our country back on track,” said Christina Blair, Santorum supporter. “I think fiscally he’ll be strong. I think with Obamacare, he’ll be strong in repealing that. For now and in the primary he is my first choice, but I will get behind any of the candidates after the primary and support them 110%.”

Angelo Miño, former district deputy grand master, District V of Freemasons in Kansas, is also supporting Santorum.

“We are tired to bring these old politicians who have been offering everything to us and accomplishing nothing,” Miño said. “I think it’s time to see a younger candidate with very strong morals, principals and values because that’s what the Republican party is about. It is about values. It is about living the legacy of our founding fathers, and I see that Rick Santorum is bringing that back to us. Being from another country and being proud to be an American citizen, I want my country back, the country that gave me the American dream. Now it is time for all of us to have the dream of America come true.”

Contact Mackenzie Clark, editor-in-chief, at mclark68@jccc.edu.

''