WEB-EXCLUSIVE: Segel plays stoner in “Jeff, Who Lives At Home,” in theaters today

0
''

By Jon Parton

In an uncertain economy, Jason Segel has managed to find a lot of work. When the 32-year-old is not working on the Emmy award winning television show “How I Met Your Mother,” he is starring in feature films like “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” and “The Muppets.”

Segel’s latest film, “Jeff, Who Lives At Home,” is the story of a 30-year-old slacker who still lives with his mother and believes the universe is trying to tell him something. The indie film, directed by Mark Duplas, also stars Ed Helms, Judy Greer and Susan Sarandon.

Segel noted that it was somewhat humbling to work with the veteran actress Sarandon.

“Any time you get to work around somebody that you’ve admired for so long, there’s a little part of you that feels like you’ve made a little bit, like it’s indicative of that you’re coming up in the world,” Segel said.

Segel’s character, Jeff, is unemployed and spends most of his days in his mother’s basement watching TV, smoking marijuana and waiting for a sign – something Segel said he could directly relate to.

“I had a really unpleasant out of work period from like 22 to 25 where I was just waiting around as well,” Segel said. “But I think that kind of – and I was smoking a fair amount of pot during that period as well – I think I related back to this time where you’re kind of bopping around and you have a sense that your destiny is to do something.”

Although the movie itself takes place over the course of one day, actual filming took a little more than a month to finish. Segel said that was not the biggest challenge for him.

“Mine is that we shot as much chronologically as we could and I, like, gained 25 pounds during the shooting of this movie,” Segel said. “So to me, in addition to all the complicated themes, it’s also the very subtle story of a man who gains 25 pounds over one day.”

Having taken on the role of actor, writer and songwriter, Segel dispelled any rumors of adding the title of director to his resume.

“Oh for me my answer is kind of complicated, but I think to do anything creatively you have to have a real sense of confidence and I think, to some extent, arrogance even if it’s false,” Segel said. “And so when I take a part, I really do believe there’s nobody who could do that part better than me. I have yet to feel about directing like no one could direct this better than me. I feel like I know three or four or five people who could direct this way better than me.”

Contact Jon Parton, news editor, at jparton@jccc.edu.

>>>To read Ed Helms’ perspective on “Jeff, Who Lives At Home,” see “Comic realism: The Hangover’s “Stu” adds depth with new role.”

“Jeff, Who Lives At Home” premieres nationwide tonight. For showtimes in Overland Park, click here.

''