Student Senate elections take place

0
''

Student Senate elections are currently taking place on the second floor of COM from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. today and tomorrow (Sept. 5 and 6).

Students can also vote online following the instructions here.

Here is a brief biography from each candidate. None of the information has been edited for length, grammar or clarity.

All information courtesy Bruna Iacuzzi, president, Student Senate

Elliot Rogers

As a student senator I want to help people make the most of their campus at JCCC. Our campus is full of dozens of inspirational clubs and organizations with hundreds more ideas waiting to happen. As a student senator candidate I plan to put our accomplishments and school pride on display for everyone to see and be a part of through our teams, our clubs, our events, and our campus projects.

Brenden Brower-Freeman

I feel like JCCC has the potential to rival many four year institutions. Having the largest undergrad enrollment in the state of Kansas, and a beautiful and welcoming campus, all it would take to achieve a status similar to other institutions is a strong group of leaders willing to sacrifice for the school and make a commitment to raise it to its full potential.

Shuaibu Umar

I have a strong commitment to ensure that my fellow students at JCCC are felling the sense of belonging while pursuing their educational goals. One of my leadership experiences includes completing a leadership development program at JCCC. In the spring of 2012, I participated and completed a Cavalier Leadership Development Program organized by the Student Success and Engagement division of Johnson County Community College. In this interesting semester long program I was taught the qualities of an exceptional leader and since then I have been practicing and putting in action those qualities.

Alanzo McIntosh

I see that we are a very divided student population, unable to solve situation effectively. It will be my mission to create a higher state of living here on campus by bringing different groups of people forth, and then spreading the message of love and embracement to make us more efficient as a society.

Preet Kaur

JCCC senate is a great way to serve this community on campus. Being elected would give me the opportunity to meet and collaborate with a wide array of people, both peers and faculty. I am running for student senate because it is the people of JCCC who inspire me to stand up and do something for our school. My fellow students and peers give me the motivation to set forth and make an effort, which gives me a reason to run for a senator position.

Annie Lynn

To make a difference in the world, one must take action and work toward one’s goals. I am running for a position on the Student Senate because I want to make a difference on the JCCC campus. I would like to participate as part of the Senate team, listening and responding to students, and opening the JCCC community so it becomes even more welcoming. I would like to help students learn more about the opportunities that are open to them and unite the JCCC community.

Cecilia López

Student Senate is a very important part of the Johnson County Community College experience. I wish to run for senate, because it will put me in a position where I will experience leadership and service which are an important part of government, which involves my major, Political Science.

Vanessa Lawton

The thing I enjoy the most is serving others. Knowing the cause and effect brings out the best in every situation. I strive to stay informed as possible to know what to do, because that is what I feel. I stand on what I feel is valuable to others and the community. This position will allow me to help others who feel their opinion and concerns are just thoughts in their heads. They will be able to voice those concerns and know that it is taken into consideration.

Mehak Sood

This position would serve as an excellent opportunity for me to be involved in the JCCC family. Being a Senator would allow me grow in many ways, and would also be a great platform for me to help other students. Using my marketing skills I would like to help the clubs in our JCCC community grow and thrive to improve our student engagement around campus. This will not only make JCCC a fun place, but also make students feel a part of the college which is very important.

Lara Blomberg

I’m running for a Student Senator position because it’s important to me to try to make JCCC the best college it can be. I want to get as many people involved in activities as possible and make sure students know they have someone to talk to about things they don’t think are going right. Another thing that is very important to me is Dollars for Scholars; I want to continue to raise money for scholarships.

Sergio Sanchez

I believe being involved in groups and activities is an integral part of developing and refining social skills needed in various environments; which is not only why I’m looking to get involved but also one of the things I hope to make evident to the student body should I be one of the selected few. My past extracurricular experiences include debate, forensics, Club YESS (which is similar to the organization of black collegians here on campus), being involved with numerous assemblies in which I was asked to perform, Helping with the school’s poetry slam, and DECA which is a business and marketing club

David Peterson

I am running for student Senate to actively participate in council to make the school a more proficient learning experience. To make sure clubs have a direct goal and focus to not waste funding that could be used by other clubs.

My past experience involves being a Student Leader at the Intervarsity Club. Founding a political support and information institution. Actively participating and coordinating of various fundraising events, and working in managerial staff position for a retail conglomerate.

''