Column: We’ll be your watchdogs

0
''

By Mackenzie Clark

In the past semester, a daunting number of changes have occurred, and are occurring, on this campus. Honestly, I’m still a bit shaken and don’t know what to make of it all.

If you haven’t kept up, many faculty and staff have announced plans for retirement, including three  in very influential positions: Terry Calaway, college president; Marilyn Rhinehart, executive vice president, Academic Affairs; and Ruth Randall, dean, Curriculum and Academic Quality.
The Board of Trustees approved the resignation of Don Weiss at their meeting Oct. 18. As early as this weekend, we should know who the trustees are selecting to fill this elected office.

The selected candidate and his or her fellow Board members will be charged with the large task of selecting the college’s next president. On top of all of this, the results of the Nov. 6 elections will have their impact.

I don’t think people truly understand yet what this means to everyone who has any involvement with this college, and bear in mind this group is not limited to students, faculty and staff. It extends to the pockets of every taxpayer in this county.

It feels to me almost as if a hurricane is brewing at this college. The time is just right for the perfect storm and, as all of us are handed these challenges, I feel I owe all of The Ledger’s readers a promise:

This staff and I will do everything in our power to keep you informed of what is happening with this administration in a fair, balanced manner. We will strive to seek out any developments that may affect you.

We will hold those in power accountable for their actions, and we will hold to the same standards we always have, if not higher, in our pursuit of these topics. We will advocate freedom of public information and when you need a reliable source, I vow The Campus Ledger reporters will be your watchdogs.

Contact Mackenzie Clark, editor-in-chief, at mclark68@jccc.edu.

''

NO COMMENTS