Learning through leading: Remembering Terry Calaway’s time at the college

0
''
Gripe-Calaway
Photo by Mackenzie Gripe

By Stephen Cook

Six years ago, when Terry Calaway first came to the college, it was during a time of “uncertainty” when people had no idea what the future held for the college.

“The environment here wasn’t as positive as it should be and he turned that around in a very short period of time by being transparent and being direct and implementing policies, procedures that contributed towards a more positive environment,” Jon Stewart, board of trustees member said.

When Calaway first stepped in, he recognized the problems and did a lot to correct the campus environment immediately, according to counselor Jeff Anderson.

“He changed the culture of the campus for sure,” Anderson said.

Now, Calaway said the college is having conversations around students instead of buildings.

“I think when I arrived here we were assessing how good we were by how beautiful our buildings were,” Calaway said. “But after all’s said and done, buildings are bricks and mortar. Colleges are places that have heart and soul, and the heart and soul is around students and should be around those who are helping students be successful.”

This is important to him because, while he doesn’t remember the buildings of the college he attended, he does clearly remember his professors and the people there.

During his six years at the college, Calaway said he’s learned more from students than he’s probably ever taught or provided.

“I guess the thing that I would take away is it doesn’t matter how old you are, it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been in the business, it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been doing what you’re doing, you can learn something new every day,” Calaway said. “I think sometimes people become desensitized to the power of what a college can do and be for students and for all of us too as employees.”

Although the college is not perfect, Calaway said what is important is that they are working hard every day to be better than the day before.

“I think the talent that we have at this institution, from the perspective of the students as well as faculty and staff, is just so abundant here,” Calaway said. “I just love our college, I’m going to be our biggest cheerleader after I leave.”

Not only will Calaway be missed at the college, but also within the community, said Dennis Day, VP Student Success and Engagement.

“He’s provided not only leadership for higher education but leadership for the community,” Day said. “That doesn’t happen with everybody.”

One thing Calaway has avoided is having what he calls an “I love me wall” where plaques, awards and certificates would be displayed.

“I came here saying this isn’t about me, it’s about us, it’s not about me, it’s about students,” Calaway said. “I’ve probably gotten a hundred plaques and certificates and ‘you’re wonderful’ things. It’s not because of something I did; it’s because of the work that you all do. I get a lot more credit for what happens here than I deserve.”

Calaway once had an opportunity to take a job at a district office for a college but decided against it because it was not on a campus, it was away from where students were.

“I can honestly say this, I’ve never walked on this campus where I wasn’t like really happy every day,” Calaway said. “A lot of that comes from I really love what I do, I really do, I mean I love working with students, and I love being a part of being on a college campus and I know I will miss that.”

After his extremely busy time as college president, Calaway said he is looking forward to being with his wife, traveling and spending time together.

“I’ve been very, very blessed to be married to a wonderful person,” Calaway said. “We just want to spend more time together and so I’m really looking forward to that, probably way more than she is. I was joking: my intruding now on her life is going to be a challenge for her. It’s going to be great for me, it’s going to be a challenge for her to have to put up with me.”

One part of his job he will not miss is giving speeches.

“By nature I’m actually a pretty introverted person, but unfortunately because of the nature of what I do I have to do a lot of public speaking,” Calaway said. “It’s not in my nature to be comfortable doing that, that’s why you never see me do power points in my speeches because I’ve kind of moved towards let’s just have a conversation with people.”

Calaway’s ability to listen and communicate has been helpful to the college, according to Stewart.

“He listens, but he’s a very good communicator and he’s very direct,” Stewart said. “I think that transparency was really what was needed and what he brought, but that’s one of his strong attributes is, I think, his vision and his ability to communicate that vision.”

In Anderson’s 32 years in higher education, he said that Calaway is the best president he’s served under.

“He’s willing to take on issues that sometimes are more comfortable to avoid,” Anderson said. “He doesn’t really shy away from controversial topics.”

Another aspect Calaway will be remembered for is his articulation work, according to Stewart, seeing that credits transfer to other colleges and universities in Kansas.

“The students now today [are] probably not very familiar with what it was like six years ago, but they’re benefitting from the environment that he’s created,” Stewart said.

Stewart believes Calaway will be remembered for his focus and his striving to be better, changing the campus.

“I think his legacy will be he took over a very difficult situation and turned it into a very positive situation, steered us through a very difficult financial time, weathered that storm and kept the college providing excellence and serving the community,” Stewart said. “It may take awhile for people to understand that legacy but I think when we look back we’re going to say, ‘Wow, he did a fantastic job of getting us through a very difficult period.’ He’ll be missed.”

Contact Stephen Cook, editor-in-chief, at scook35@jccc.edu

''