COLUMN: Reflecting on my day with the college president

0
''

By Stephen Cook

When I pulled into his driveway a little before 6 a.m. President Sopcich acted surprised.

“I didn’t think you were going to show up,” he said.

So my day with the college president began.

I met President Sopcich at his house, dark and early, for his morning run. After our 3.2 mile run, we made our way to campus, arriving at around 7:45 a.m. This is how Sopcich starts his days: running Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then heading to campus or to various functions before most students are even awake.

On Thursday, Oct. 10, the day I spent shadowing him, we didn’t leave campus until around 8:45 p.m. Sopcich said he will usually stay late for various functions five to six days a week.

Our president is dedicated to this college in more ways than most people can think of.

After our day spent together I can say that I was genuinely tired. When you’re meeting influential members of the community all day, you always have to be “on” and alert. Keep in mind I was just shadowing Sopcich, I didn’t have the mental load of thinking about and discussing issues all day.

During our day together, I had the opportunity to meet many influential individuals who play a significant part in leading the community. I was able to meet business owners, political leaders and even donors who have contributed substantial amounts to help shape programs at the college.

As editor-in-chief, I feel that I can relate to Sopcich’s position, although obviously on a much smaller scale.

The fact that I get to work with fantastic people and do great things together is very similar in a way to what Sopcich does with the college as a whole. Also, one of the major reasons I love my job as a journalist is that I get to meet, talk to and learn the stories of so many individuals. As president, Sopcich is constantly meeting new people, and likewise for him, that makes the job enjoyable.

I can say although it can be demanding and time-consuming, my time at the Ledger is one of the most worthwhile things that I have ever been a part of. Sopcich feels the same way about being president of the college. At the end of the day, although tired, he is encouraged and inspired by those that he had spent time around.

I believe Sopcich and I share very similar feelings about our jobs. We both appreciate the things we get to do, the people we get to meet and the lessons we get to learn.

I also believe we both agree that we are proud to be a part of this college.

Getting to spend the day with Sopcich was a fantastic experience and I am thankful he gave me the opportunity to do so. I can say at the end of the day I was genuinely encouraged and inspired by the people that I had met: individuals who care so much about the college, its programs and the students that they go above and beyond in their support.

If anything, our day together made me want to want to push myself even harder as a student and as an editor. I want to help maintain the great reputation of this college and you should want to do your best to do the same.

Contact Stephen Cook, editor-

''