Driven to succeed: Professor participates in local motorsport events

0
Patterson competes in a SCCA rallycross race on Nov. 3. These events are held on dirt, instead of pavement. Photos by Stephen Cook.
''
DSC01933finalOnline

By Stephen Cook

Not content to just sit quietly and let life pass him by, science professor, Doug Patterson enthusiastically enjoys both his time in the classroom and on the track.

Patterson has been at the college since 1993 and teaches astronomy and physics courses. In addition to teaching his classes, Patterson also spends time doing research for Fundamental Technologies, LLC. As a part of the group, Patterson writes software that can analyze data collected from outer space so it can be understood and used practically. Patterson is compensated for his work with the group.

“It’s my racing money,” Patterson said. “Teaching pays the bills and pays the rent and research pays for the fun.”

Originally, he thought he would only teach at the college for a little bit and then move on to another institution. Instead, he compared where he was already to where he wanted to be. Patterson has a Master’s degree from Ball State University and received his Ph.D from KU in 2002.

“This is it, this is the Disneyland of academic positions,” Patterson said. “I have a community of like-minded pedagogics, people who value the craft of teaching and learning.”

Patterson believes in learning through working hands-on in the classroom.

“The ideal thing is to get one’s hands dirty, I try to bring in as much of the real science world as I possibly can, not the glossy stuff in the textbooks,” Patterson said. “I prefer to teach science by having them do science.”

His interest in the field began at an early age.

“As a kid I was always fascinated by space and science and rocketships and all that,” Patterson said. “I mean what are the two coolest things ever? Rocket ships and race cars, right?”

In high school, Patterson at first thought he was going to become a commercial artist. Then, he took a physics class and it all changed. However, Patterson still is an active photographer, running Patterson Prints LLC with his wife as well as writing and taking photos for OpenPaddock.net, a website covering motorsport.

Patterson began contributing to the site in early 2009, shortly after really getting back into photography in 2008. Now he is able to attend and cover events with media credentials.

As with science, Patterson has also been interested in motorsports since a young age.

“I was born in Indiana, therefore I’m a motorsports fan,” Patterson said. “Motorsports, basketball and corn; those are your three loves in Indiana.”

Now Patterson is a member of the local Sports Car Club of America group and he races in various events throughout the year.

Patterson said he first went out to an SCCA solo event to take photos for OpenPaddock and then realized how “awesome” the event was.

One of the things that also got Patterson to come back was when somebody asked if he was selling prints.

“Of course that lure of the almighty dollar got me back out, right?,” Patterson said. “Plus, it was a super cool event and I really enjoyed being out there and the people were amazing.”

Last year Patterson went ahead and became a member of the local SCCA club. So far, Patterson has competed in around 20 events with his Ford Focus SVT.

Patterson said his favorite cars are ones that helped shape automotive history through engineering and innovation, such as the Ford GT40 or the Tyrrell Project 34 F1 car.

“I like those cars that showed engineering creativity,” Patterson said. “This is something I try to share with my students: is that scientists and engineers, we are creative people, we have to be to come up with some of the crazy ways that we find out how the universe works, who builds something like the space shuttle in all of its complexity without being creative?”

In addition to his interests in science, photography and motorsports, Patterson is also an anime fan and is the faculty advisor for the anime club.

Paul Decelles, professor of science, first met Patterson in 1993, the two formed a good friendship that has persisted ever since.

“From what I’ve seen he’s really enthusiastic about what he does and he inspires that in other people,” Decelles said. “So even though I’m not particularly interested in motorsports, for example, I get interested from hearing him talk about it and that sort of thing.”

Joe Tasler, regional executive for the Kansas city region SCCA has known Patterson for about three years and has seen him participate in a number of events. He also appreciates the photography and website work he does for the club.

“He’s a real enthusiastic guy, he steps up and does a lot of work,” Tasler said. “Doug’s always there to help.”

Patterson said his favorite part about being involved with the Kansas City Region SCCA group is the people.

“The same is true about science,” Patterson said. “Whether it’s talking about motorsports or whether it’s talking about science and the history of science it’s the people’s stories, the stories behind what was going on. […] It’s always the people that make stories interesting.”

Contact Stephen Cook, editor-in-chief, at scook35@jccc.edu.

''

NO COMMENTS