2014 Student Senate Executive Board candidates

0
''

Student Senate Executive Board elections are this week, with voting running until Thursday, April 10. You can vote online by clicking here, or by stopping by the Student Senate tables (3 and 4) at the top of the stairs on the second floor of the COM building, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5:30 to 7 p.m. today and Thursday.

The candidates are below, along with more information about each:

President Candidates:
– Jeffery Redmond
– Marie Horvat

Vice President Candidate:
– Elysia Chao

Secretary Candidate:
– Marie Horvat

Treasurer Candidates:
– Ricardo Aristiguieta-Pulgar
– Aaron Swift

Parlimentarian Candidate:
– Joshua Powers

Marie-Kristin Horvat, running for President and Secretary

Current position on Student Senate: Senator
How long have you been a student at JCCC? Three semesters (Since January 2013)
Major: International Business Management, Minor: Entrepreneurship
Career goal: Owning / Managing International Company or Working for United Nations

Why did you decide to run for this position?
I am running for the position as the Student Senate president at Johnson County Community College to actively take part in the student culture that can create an environment, students can strive in. As president I can actively assure that the voice of the students receives significant weightage and all students through Student Senate can have their voice be heard. I find a strong purpose in this student organization and see myself creating pathways to success through personal dedication, determination and compassion as president by working with senators, clubs and students toward common goals. Choosing to get involved as a student leader, in the presidential position, is holding myself accountable to make the best positive impact within the JCCC community throughout my time here.

What makes you the ideal candidate?
My position as student engagement ambassador and specifically my obligations as team leader of student events and tournaments, has given me valuable experience in a leading role, as well as establishing good connections throughout the student, faculty and administrative community. Further, through my Model United Nations leadership honors class and my position as the Secretary General of the Midwestern Model United Nations Conference at JCCC I have been given the opportunity to excel in my leadership skills on a professional level. Throughout my life and work as a dive instructor, underwater photographer and English teacher I have taken on and accomplished many leadership tasks, guiding and teaching large groups of people and managing diving operations in various South East Asia Pacific countries.

Working with people from different backgrounds and ethnicities has taught me the ability to form professional and friendly bonds as well as the importance of ensuring equality for all, attributes that I will bring to the executive board of Student Senate. Although it can be challenging at times to ensure constant performance to the best of my ability, I have developed the power turn this challenge into a drive that pushes me forward and gives me the capability of setting an example through responsibility and reliability.

It is most important to me, through my own actions, to bring out the best in people around me, cater to their talents and let success push everyone forward equally. Student Senate has an amazing group of students dedicated to the student community and its needs. I am looking forward to be working with these bright and motivated individuals that will be able to accomplish the outstanding.

If elected, how would you serve the student body in your role?
The ideas and concerns of the student community will be the guidance to analyze common goals that student senate will set for the fall semester and beyond. There are, however, goals that I have set for the upcoming term as president or senator alike that.

It is the students that have to be in focus, therefore, raising the awareness for the plethora of resources for success this college has to offer is important.

Most students know some of these resources, mostly at the end of their time at JCCC, it will be valuable for each and every student to assure that information is easily visible and accessible from the very beginning.

Another strong point will be the JCCC Athletics and teams. Our sports, academia and culinary teams are amazing, they compete on national and international levels, throughout the USA as well as worldwide, but there efforts are little recognized. Strengthening existing avenues of recognition and finding new ways of bringing the success of our students to the entire student community needs a strong focus. This promotion of student achievements on campus leads to the focal point of building the school spirit.

JCCC has been a blessing to me and with this, I believe, I speak on behalf of the student community. The college itself is friendly and welcoming, however, it misses the special relationship between the institution and the people in form of school spirit. It is not just the obligation of the institution to come forth with an identifiable factor through vision and mission statements, but the responsibility of each and every student embodied through the clubs and organizations, and ultimately Student Senate to bring character, charm and identity to this college. Building this spirit can draw the JCCC community closer together and build the sense of belonging this college is missing.

Elysia Chao, running for Vice President

How long have you been a student at JCCC? Currently, this is my second semester at JCCC.
Major: International Business
Career goal: I enjoy entrepreneurship and hope to run my own company someday, but in the meantime, my career goal is to become an international business development manager.

I decided to run for Student Senate Vice-President because I wanted to be more directly involved in communicating with the students and help increase student involvement on campus. As a student activities ambassador, I encounter many students every day, yet I don’t get much time with any of them on a one-on-one basis. I want to do more for the school and the students here. The biggest issue I see at the school is a lack of school spirit and unity; many of the students don’t have a connection to the school. A solution for that would be to get people to feel more valued at the school, that their contribution counts, and that their voice matters. My goal as Student Senate Vice-President would be to ensure that students feel like they are a bigger part of the school, and to get them more involved through different programs, senate committees, and clubs.

Vice-Presidential duties include leading Interclub as well as the Service and Fundraising committee, which are both things I really care about. I’m excited about becoming a part of Interclub, as I want clubs to become bigger, better, stronger and impact even more students. Service and Fundraising committee is a great way for the senate as well as the school to unite and reach out to students as well as the community, and though I’d like to see more in terms of fundraising, I’d like to see even more done in relation to servicing. We have a food pantry to assist students, but what about other services such as clothing donations and book drives? I’d like to see that happen as Senate Vice-President. Finally, I’d like to assist the Senate President as best I can in their endeavors. I have much to learn still, so I hope to gain insight and experience by modeling whoever is elected to becomes President, and embody their traits as a leader as well.

What makes you the ideal candidate?
I would be an ideal candidate for the Vice-President position because I have been in Student Senate for a semester and have had experience, and even contributed to the development of a new committee, as well as assisted in development of a new recognition program in the PR committee to nominate outstanding students, faculty, and staff. I think my contributions would enable me to become an ideal Vice-President and allow me to better represent the student body as well as connect with more students and become an even stronger role model.

I want to positively affect the school and help it achieve a more affluent reputation, as well as help students become more aware of our services here, and get them to make the most of it instead of simply going to class and going home. I’d like to also promote student feedback and communication between the senate and the student body. In my role as the Vice-President, I’d like to further develop and utilize the Interclub and Activities Council as well as the Service and Fundraising committee as a way for student outreach and engagement. The PR committee would be something I’d like to take a greater part in as Vice-President as well, and making sure the monthly recognitions can run smoothly next semester. I’d also like to oversee the continuation and development of the Mentoring Committee, created as a possible way to help connect incoming students as mentees, to veteran students as mentors, and have them linked together under a common interest and serve as a peer adviser so that students will have a closer connection to the school and a support system they can count on.

Jeffery Redmond, running for President

Current position on Student Senate: Vice President
How long have you been a student at JCCC? Third semester
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Career goal: As far as I can go.

I have been the VP for the last year and I  believe I can fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
I want to make the largest impact possible with, and in my community. Our world is hurting and the solution is to empower our community. I can reach the most people by being in this position.

What makes you the ideal candidate?
I try to exemplify compassion through leadership. I like to make a difference in my world and that is accomplished through the impact I make in other’s lives.

The top issue is feeling connected to the community. These are my friends, and my friends become family. I think everyone should be able to experience what I have been blessed to be a part of here at JCCC.  I want to give them that opportunity. It’s as easy as reaching out to the community. Letting everyone know and feel that they have value. Connect, Exchange and Grow.

Ricardo Aristiguieta, running for Treasurer

Current position on Student Senate: Senator, part of the Budget Committee and Peer Mentor Committee
How long have you been a student at JCCC? This is my third semester and I have two more to go
Major:  Marketing and Management A.A.S.
Career goal:  Start my career in project management and move toward a successful software development company in projects dedicated to the creation of new experiences.

I want to have more impact on JCCC activities, and this position would let me accomplish that in a way that feels natural to me.

What makes you the ideal candidate?
My previous experience with the Budget Committee (two semesters) have given me an insight on how the committee works, plus almost three years of experience on accounting and finance.

I will reach out to Clubs and Organizations around campus so they know that the Student Senate can help them achieve success on their projects and events.

Joshua Powers, running for Parliamentarian

Current position on Student Senate: Prospective Senator
How long have you been a student at JCCC? Spring 2014 is my second semester.
Major: Currently at JCCC, my declared major is Liberal Arts.  Once I graduate from JCCC and apply for universities, I will declare as a double major of English and Psychology.
Career goal: Since a young age, I’ve aspired to be a law enforcement officer.  Ideally, I’d work my way up from patrol and see where my career ends up!

I want to make a difference for a school that has made a difference in the lives of thousands of students, including my own.  Regardless of the outcome of this election, I will pursue that goal through Phi Theta Kappa, Lambda Alpha Epsilon, and any other organization that I can budget into my schedule.  The biggest benefit of being a JCCC Student is the access to so many clubs and organizations that bolster the college resume of any student looking to transfer to four-year institutions.

It takes some digging, and it takes some effort.  Presidential candidate, Jeffery Redmond, spoke to me recently and raised a point that I could not agree more with, he said, “you get what you put into it.”  I’d like to offer help to any student, and any organization, that needs assistance.  I’d like to use a position on the Executive Board as a weapon of influence to show the student body the endless opportunities that there are to advance yourself as a student, and as a person.

What makes you the ideal candidate?
I love the English language, and I love studying Psychology–why and how we do things.  Because of the combination of these two interests, I believe that I can successfully fulfill the roles of Parliamentarian in enforcing the Constitution, as well as representing the student body on the Executive Board.  My ever-evolving knowledge in those two fields are what builds the necessary foundation to be a successful Executive Board member, and a successful Parliamentarian.

Communication is the most important aspect of the position I seek.  I would frequently be engaged with the student body, and I would welcome any invitation to sit in on student organizations or happenings–even lending a helping hand to coordinate activities.  As a member of, not just the Executive Board, but the Student Senate, I would take every opportunity offered to give back to the student community.

Aaron Swift has not been available for a response to the Q&A.

Compiled by Stephen Cook, editor-in-chief, scook35@jccc.edu.

''

NO COMMENTS