A New Face on Campus: Laurie Chapkin named new coordinator of career development center

0
''

By Hannah Strader

One of the most difficult decisions for a college student is deciding their major. Luckily, the Career Development Center on campus offers an array of op­tions to help make this decision easier. Laurie Chapkin moved into the Coordi­nator position just under a year ago, but has been working in the Career Develop­ment Center much longer than that. With a masters degree in counseling and years of experience as a teacher, Chapkin’s de­cision to apply for the Coordinator posi­tion wasn’t a difficult one.

“I would say probably the most unex­pected thing that’s keeping me busy with the new position is that there’s a lot of meetings to go to that I just hadn’t an­ticipated. I thought ‘Okay, well, my job’s going to be pretty much the same except that now I’m just going to be a supervisor and I’ll have to evaluate the other career information specialists every year’ […], but actually I’m actually, as a represen­tative of the career development center, asked to serve on some committees,” said Chapkin.

Though an unexpected aspect, Chap­kin enjoys being able to represent the Ca­reer Development Center in more places around campus. She admits it has been difficult to be pulled away from duties in the center, but hopes the services offered in the Career Development Center can be promoted more for students.
“I think we’re such a great resource and I’d love for more students to come, so I’m hoping that being on all these com­mittees and getting out more on campus that I can really let students know about everything that we do,” said Chapkin.

The center offers a variety of services for students who are unsure of what they want to study or are simply looking for a job. For those seeking employment, a mock interview or a search through the center’s job postings might be helpful. For others, personality assessments and one-on-one counseling can be beneficial for deciding a major. As the coordinator, Chapkin fulfills all these duties and more.

“I am really sort of just a point person to make sure that everything is running smoothly in the center, making sure that schedules are created and that the center is covered in terms of people and making sure that all our resource materials are up to date. And then I’m also a supervisor for the career information specialists in the center,” explained Chapkin.

While difficult at times, the transi­tion thus far has been relatively smooth. Chapkin believes this is due, in part, to the staff here at JCCC.

“The easiest part is that I’m still work­ing with my co-workers and we work so well as a team. I feel like this is one of the best teams I’ve worked on. I love work­ing with them and I feel very lucky that I get to continue that just in a full time capacity.”

For the most part, Chapkin is focused on shedding some positive light on the Career Development Center through her new involvement on committees throughout campus.

Contact Hannah Strader, features editor, hstade1@jccc.edu

''