Student juggles multiple talents

0
''

BY FRANCAIS HEALY

Megan
PHOTO BY GABE ALEJOS

Megan Gladback lays the foundation for her future

So, what do you do?

A question that chills the blood of even some of the most interesting and well-articulated individuals, but a question that student Megan Gladbach an­swers in style.

“I usually say I work in the writing center at JCCC, I really like sustainability stuff, kind of a modern hippy, and I talk about my band,” giggled Gladbach.

She has been a student at the college for three years.

“Technically I’m done with my degree from JCCC, I’m just getting some extra credit hours because I’m actually interested in studying permaculture,” she said.

Gladbach’s interest in sustain­ability and permaculture are cur­rently at the forefront of her life.

“Basically [permaculture] is like this design sort of philoso­phy. It’s just designing sustain­able communities,” said Glad­bach “It’s not just buildings, it’s also landscaping.”

Gladbach’s self described modern hippy lifestyle extends to her participation in the Sus­tainability Committee on campus.

“One dollar of your credit hours goes to our committee, we decide what to do with that mon­ey,” she said.

The solar picnic tables, the new lighting, and the Britta wa­ter filtering stations are all things the committee has brought to the campus.

Another huge part of Glad­bach’s life is music.

“I’ve been playing guitar since I was nine, so like 11 years now? That’s more than half of my life,” said Gladbach “I also play piano, I’m not very good at it but I try.”

Gladbach also plays in the band I Am Nation, who accord­ing to her is temporarily on unof­ficial hiatus.

“I love doing the band but I don’t know where to go with it. This past year we’ve done a lot of discovery as individuals,” she said. “We’re still writing and hoping to get our stuff back to­gether.”

“I think there’s separate parts of me that wants to do [the band], there’s a part of me that is full out, go for it, and do nothing but fo­cus on that,” asserted Gladbach “But there’s another part of me: I’m kind of a nerd. I really love school. I want to do that too, but I really want to do both. I think I would only be satisfied if I was doing both.”

When Gladbach isn’t study­ing or writing music, she works at the writing center on campus.

“It’s a super no stress envi­ronment, and I think that’s re­ally good when a lot of these people come in with papers, they’re freaking out, so it feels good to actually know you’re helping someone in need,” she said, “reading different papers, you get to learn a lot of random stuff.”

In the future Gladbach hopes to attend Prescott College in Ari­zona, a college known for their focus on experiential learning. Gladbach said she liked experi­ential learning because it stimu­lates all five senses.

While Gladbach’s time at the college may be coming to an end, her journey through life is just beginning.

Contact Francais Healy, copy editor, fhealy@jccc.edu

''