My story coming to a close

0
''
By Mike Abell

mabell@jccc.edu

It’s crazy to think I’m sitting down to write my last column as editor-in-chief of this publication.

I didn’t exactly know what I was getting myself into a year ago when I took the job.

I thought I knew what it all entailed, but I didn’t. Truth is the job was quite a bit harder than I expected, but I gained a lot more than I could have imagined, too. I have learned so much about myself as a leader and as a person this year. It’s been a wild ride.

I’ve had plenty of challenges this year, but I’ve gained so much from all of it be­cause of my team. A good leader is nothing without a great team and support system behind them.

I want to thank everyone that has helped get me here to this point. Andrea, Courtney, Cody, Valerie, Christina, James, Hannah, Julia and the rest of the editorial board, I couldn’t have done this without you all.

I also want to thank all of the staff mem­bers for their hard work and dedication. Working together with other students can be frustrating at times, but so rewarding when you create content like what’s been done here.

We couldn’t have achieved All-Kansas without an amazing team. That award hasn’t been granted to the Ledger in at least six years. It’s a testament to us and our advisers.

Valerie: Thank you for everything you have contributed to this publication. Our convergence and online efforts wouldn’t be what they are without you. Our work relationship has taught me about compro­mising and how to bring talented people who have differences together. While our relationship wasn’t always sunshine and rainbows, we found a way to make great content. I wish you the best on your future endeavors.

Corbin: I won’t forget anything you taught me moving forward. You have helped me develop and harvest my lead­ership skills. I might not have ever applied for the editor-in-chief position without you seeing my potential. My dad has always said that sometimes it takes other people to recognize someone’s potential. That person has always been you since day one. It’s so clear you love your job. The college and this publication are both so lucky to have you.

I would also like to thank the student media board for granting me this oppor­tunity. I gained so much more than I bar­gained for.

Thanks to our faithful readers. We have had a couple folks write in and express their opinions about our online focus next year. I would just like to say thank you for your concern, but I know the Ledger will succeed in its new platform. I know it.

Additionally, I want to thank the Ledger staff members from last year too. Being a freshman in college can be intimidating. Everyone on staff last year made me feel right at home and gave me something to look forward to every day.

This chapter of my life has been amaz­ing, and I wouldn’t have traded it for any­thing else. I questioned myself when I first walked through the doors of the college and wondered if I made the right decision.

It has never been more clear to me than it is now. I know I made the right decision. I’m right where I’m supposed to be and wouldn’t have it any other way. Thank you all for everything.

''