by James Howey
The college’s women’s soccer squad has gotten off to a strong start with a 7-1 record. Freshman Joanna Taylor leads the Jayhawk conference in goals with 13. Taylor was also chosen as KJCCC and NJCAA player of the week. Taylor hopes to help the Cavs build on the team’s success early with conference looming.
- How have you been able to have the amount of success you have had early on as a freshman?
I probably attribute it to having a solid team that can serve me balls really well. I attribute it to coaches past and present working with me and giving me the skills I do have.
- What have you really liked that the team has done to start the season?
I like that we’ve all come together. There is no drama really and we all get along. We all have a really strong dynamic and we all work pretty hard.
- Did the fact that you guys weren’t ranked by the NJCAA to begin the season bother you?
Honestly I didn’t have any idea. I had no clue.
- What has always helped motivate you to work hard and do your best?
I think it just comes from within constantly motivating myself to get better. There is always room for growth and improvement. Seeing the work ethic from my other teammates pushes me, and so does my little sister. She plays on the team with me and seeing her work hard and her progress and her incredible ability to play soccer kind of motivates me and the future motivates me.
- What goals do you have for yourself personally this season?
I’d love to continue this leading offensive place that I have right now. I want my team to go far and I want to help them get far, whether that be winning regionals or winning nationals.
- What are some things the team can improve on through the season?
I think at the beginning we’ve struggled with a lot of different things, but we come together and we really focused on what we needed to get better at. Every team has things they constantly need to be working on, but I think so far we’re an all-around really good team.
- Who is your favorite artist?
I listen to all kinds of music. I don’t have a favorite one honestly. It’s just really whatever I’m in the mood for. I like crazy rap music when I’m wanting to get pumped up for a game, or sometimes I like to listen to Indy rock when I’m doing homework.
- What is your favorite food?
Pasta. I’m a lasagna lover all the way.
- What is your favorite movie?
- Who is your favorite athlete?
Alex Morgan, and my favorite male athlete is the one, the only Lionel Messi.
- What is your dream job?
To become a nurse.