by James Howey
After transferring from the University of Alabama in Huntsville, Jordan Morrison has become a huge cog in the wheel for Cavaliers volleyball this year. The Cavs are 16-1 and ranked number 3 in the nation. Morrison has 161 kills, a .312 hitting percentage and 26 blocks on the season. Morrison will look to keep up the squad’s tremendous success throughout the season.
1. When did you and the team kind of realize that you guys were going to be this good?
I realized how good we were definitely when two-a-day’s [practice] started. Everyone is really competitive and goes all out. We’ve all felt the pressure of earning our playing time, which I believe has pushed us to be even better. When we started scrimmaging each other, we would have awesome all-out, scrappy rallies. We have big goals this season and we still have lots to work on to meet those goals. It’s definitely an exciting season.
2. What about this team has made them so dominant so far through the season?
We have so much depth. We have a lot of girls who are talented in many different aspects of the game and each player contributes a lot. I feel like we can always depend on each other. There’s a lot of love and support on this team. We also have a lot of fun when we play, even in early 6 a.m. practices. I think we also have a lot of different types of leaders on the team, which provides a lot of support for everyone.
3. You guys are all really close. What do you enjoy the most about being around the team?
I really love this team. Everyone is really goofy and laid back. There is always someone who can help pick you up on a bad day. I also love having so much support from my teammates. I never feel like they look down on me or are mad at me when I make mistakes on the court. We all mesh well, our different personalities all balance out in a weird way and we get along great.
4. After transferring from another school, what about this college attracted you and how has it made you feel at home?
I could tell how great of a school it was and could tell that they had a competitive and strong volleyball program. When I transferred here, everyone made the transition really easy for me and I never felt like a total outsider or newbie. Coach Ei and Jodi have taught me a lot of new things about the game I never knew. The coaches and girls all make playing so much fun, even through countless hours of practice, games and traveling. I’ve had an amazing experience here.
5. What has always motivated you to work hard and be your best on the court?
I always try to work hard for my teammates and coaches. I hate letting my team down.
6. Do plan on playing at a four-year next year? If so, which ones have you thought about?
I definitely plan on continuing to play after this. Volleyball has always been a big part of my life and I hope to continue on with my career. I’d even like to continue by coaching competitive teams with my dad. I think volleyball will always be a part of my life.
7. Who is your favorite music artist?
8. What is your favorite food?
9. Who is your favorite athlete?
10. What is your favorite movie?
11. What is your favorite book?
12. What is your dream job?
Something with numbers. Maybe a statistician.