Students and faculty respond to Trump’s inauguration

1
''

Carina Smith

Features editor

csmit367@jccc.edu

On January 20, the nation watched as Donald Trump was inaugurated at the Capitol as the 45th President of the United States. People traveled to Washington, D.C. and watched the historic moment on television.

Some students expressed fear about what is to come under Trump’s presidency. Student Hannah Flores pointed out the divide that has taken place across the country during the election process.

“I feel that Trump sends a message to the American people that is not in line with the majority of America,” Flores said. “I think he wants to divide us up by our differences and I think when a person with such power sends a message like that … it makes America more unwelcoming for people who are different than people like Trump.”

While some people are scared about what the next four years will look like, others choose to remain hopeful during this transition in leadership.

“With Trump being president I know a lot of people are scared for the nation and all that. A lot of people are looking for him to fail,” student Michael James Bobuda said. “But for me personally, I feel like you should want the best for Trump and you should want him to be a good president because for the next four years, he’s going to be the one that’s going to lead us.”

Professor Brian Wright talked about how his biggest fear during Trump’s presidency is whether or not the president can unify the nation and end the growing divide between parties.

“With President Trump, [I’m] most concerned about unifying the country,” Wright said. “Obviously he got the majority vote, but he didn’t get the popular vote, so the question is whether or not he can unify the country in such a way that mitigates some of the problems he created.”

Trump has held several titles over the years — businessman, reality TV personality, billionaire — but he’s never been a politician. Wright talked about how this makes it harder to predict what Trump’s presidency will actually look like over the next four years.

“Because he’s not the conventional politician, we really don’t know where his ideas will take the country, so there’s a lot of uncertainty,” Wright said.

-Kha’len McCoy-Hollinger contributed to this report

''

1 COMMENT

1. Divide us by our differences…
    Wasn’t it Hillary Clinton that hit the campaign trail saying, I’m a woman, you’re a woman, vote for me. Later it was black people knew that the democrats always have your back. Then it was Hispanics vote for me so I can let in your brothers and sisters. Then there was the Jewish vote. Trump hates you despite his daughter being Jewish after converting to her husband’s faith. Look at a map of the country by county. The democratic party is a party of factions. They divide and they hope that they can conquer. The only place that they hold sway is the East and West coast plus the large cities.

That mean old, divisive Trump said that everyone is interested in jobs, that everyone is interested in national security, that black people could do better by spreading their votes around, ditto for Hispanic people. Trump has been nothing but inclusive and you can see that by reading his actual speeches instead of listening to some talking head interpreting them for you. The media, for the most part, has gotten it wrong every time. You also can’t trust what the democrats have said. They have no credibility at all.