Here’s a handy checklist of what you can do to make your best online course with Canvas.
Several Weeks Before Course Begins
- Review Best Practices and Expectations
- Merge Course Sections (if applicable)
- Import content into Canvas
- Review and update the following in Canvas:
- Course Settings
- Navigation Structure
- Personal Notifications
- Hide select class materials from student view in Canvas (optional)
- Review and revise online course materials
One Week Before Course Begins
- Post “personal introduction”
- Review class introductions
- Summarize students’ postings
- Contact students who haven’t accessed the course
- Submit to My JCCC Student Attendance
- Monitor class discussions
- Monitor JCCC email and Canvas Inbox
- Post weekly announcement
- Grade assignments
- How do I use SpeedGrader?
- How do I get to SpeedGrader from an assignment, quiz, or graded discussion?
- How do I enable anonymous grading to hide student names in SpeedGrader?
- How do I mute or unmute an assignment in SpeedGrader?
- How do I add annotated comments in student submissions using DocViewer in SpeedGrader?
- How do I enter and edit grades in SpeedGrader?
- How do I use a rubric to grade submissions in SpeedGrader?
- How do I grade quiz questions in SpeedGrader?
- How do I grade a graded discussion in SpeedGrader?
- Summarize Discussions
- Hold Office Hours (optional)
- Update class calendar as necessary
Two Weeks Before Course Ends
- Encourage students to participate in JCCC Course Evaluations
Last Day of Course
- Post end-of-class announcement
- Remind students to download/print any work they’d like to keep
- Post final grades in My JCCC
- Review and revise course materials for future offerings