2018-2019 Minutes

Thursday, November 29, 2018

GEB 375, 3pm

Members Present: Melanie Harvey (President), Jim Leiker (VP), Terri Easley-Giraldo (Secretary), Eve Blobaum (Treasurer), Brian Wright (Uniserv Rep), Dennis Arjo (Past President), Barry Herron, Larry Weaver, Brett Cooper, Jim McWard, Jeff Anderson, Laura Jacobs, Mark Swails, Justin Dunham

Guests:  Vince Miller – Dean of Academic Support and Mickey McCloud – Chief Academic Officer, Tom Patterson – Director of International Education, Angeliina Lawson – Trustee, Randy Weber – VP of Student Success

President Melanie Harvey called the meeting to order 3:33pm.

Treasurer’s Report – Eve Blobaum

Our Accounts are still in balance. From now on we will not be disclosing our account balance amounts in the meeting minutes or on the blog, but they will be available in the future on our Canvas page.

President Updates – Melanie Harvey

Calendar Committee:  This committee is meeting again tomorrow.  The last time they met there was a proposal put together to go to the Board for 2020-2021 academic year.  The fall break idea was not endorsed by the committee.  The last proposal had a stop day between the last day of class and first day of finals, and finals week would look the same for fall and spring semester.  The extra days after finals week and when grades are due can be used for departmental and divisional work and other tasks such as program review, training, etc.  For spring semester – they can’t move graduation due to facility rental to other places for graduation.  Graduation would happen the week after finals.

Tuition 2019-2020:  Tuition and fees at JCCC is together in one lump sum unlike other places that separate tuition and fees.  The Board is suggesting increase tuition per credit hour by $1 for JoCo residents, $2 for out of state and $3 for metro rate.  Tuition hasn’t been raised recently and they want to increase the cost-share of students.

FA Budgeting Plans:  Our Executive Committee will put together a budget for the remainder of the year and plan to have it for the January meeting.  This has not been typical practice in recent years for the FA, but operationally this should be helpful going forward and provide transparency.  Going forward, we would also like to have a proposed budget for the upcoming school year to go on the ballot with officer elections in late spring.

Pathways and Accucampus – Randy Weber

2014-2017 Strategic Plan had 2 big initiatives – how do we provide more consistent advice to students across campus as well as better support to self-navigating students.  Want to better connect students to already available services.  Over time we have realized Pathways has helped with onboarding but not long-term retention.  Accucampus is used for check-in and check-out for all the centers as well as with the Testing Center.  Long-term we are looking at data from previous student impact data to determine what strategies for which students would be most beneficial to put on a checklist for those on certificate or degree plan.   Future support for faculty is to include things like if I teach in AAC and I want them to go to a resume-building workshop – they can them see which students went to the workshop.  For students – it will allow students to ask what resources are available and based on their schedules it will produce a list of resources.

Faculty expressed concerns about private student data and it was asked who gets to see the data.  As far as privacy goes, everyone (staff/faculty) will have different “roles” and permissions and see what is pertinent for their role.

It was asked what is the difference between Counselors and Success Advocates.  Counselors are with Masters Counseling degree and Success Advocates are bachelors degree.  At first they were just triage with students, but now their job is to connect and not provide the support that counseling does.  Their job is to make resources available to students.

Global Distinction AQIP Project – Tom Patterson

In response to the demands to the world we live in today.  Goal of program is to prepare students to better live and work in this interconnected and interdependent world.  This can be done through:  global focus in curriculum, involvement in activities/clubs, events, and study abroad.

How can we bundle these activities to encourage students to participate and get more global experience to prepare them?  The program would have 3 components and various criteria, and models the program at KU (Global Awareness Program).  Also working with KU to pursue options for it to transfer.

Component 1-Academic (2 tracks – 1 for domestic students and 1 for international students)

Component 2 – Activities/Events

Component 3 – International Experience

Complete 2 components for Global Award and 3 components for Global Award Distinction.

Goal is to launch the program in January as a pilot and then a determination whether to move forward.

Academic Dishonesty Listening Session – Mark Swails

Hoping to get feedback and reflecting the way students cheat is different across disciplines.  The group will prepare a statement – the current statement is very vague and no campus-wide consequences.  Goal is to recommend a reporting and data collection system.  Also will make a toolkit of steps and tools for faculty to use to combat academic dishonesty.  Finally put together a recommendation for a training or remediation model for students (likely a video).

Faculty can fill out a survey at:  https://goo.gl/44xoPq

 

KNEA Delegates – Brian Wright

Looking for representatives to represent FA at Baker’s Dozen at the end of January and the Representative Assembly in April.  We have 6 of 10 spots filled.  If you know of people interested, please let the FA know.

Meeting was adjourned at 5:05pm.

 

 

Thursday, October 18, 2018

GEB 375, 3pm

Members Present: Melanie Harvey (President), Jim Leiker (VP), Terri Easley-Giraldo (Secretary), Eve Blobaum (Treasurer), Brian Wright (Uniserv Rep), Tammy Baltzell (KNEA Uniserv), Diane Davis, David Davis, Janette Funaro, Jeff Anderson, Larry Weaver, Dennis Arjo, Monica Hogan, Dave Krug

Guests:  Dr. Mickey McCloud

President Melanie Harvey called the meeting to order at 3:31pm.

Treasurer’s Report – Eve Blobaum

We are getting a table for Some Enchanting Evening ($1,200), so that expense will be coming up.  In recent years we’ve shared a table at a cost of $1,500, so this is actually cheaper than previous years’ expenses.

This year the Executive Council approved the purchase of getting a table.  Discussion about whether or not the FA should vote to approve getting a table at Some Enchanting Evening in the future.  Also concerns were voiced about fairness and who is asked to go.  It was suggested that next year the FA asks for a vote to approve.

Jeff Anderson asked for it to be noted that he does not support this expenditure.

President Updates – Melanie Harvey

 

Hiersteiner Child Development Center – got a grant to help facilitate free childcare for some students.  This grant was matched by the Foundation.

HR Hiring Change – Assigning an HR person to Full-Time Faculty search committees.  They are supposed to help with resources and moves along in a timely fashion.  It is to prevent issues from occurring.  This is not currently a policy or procedure but they want to participate in the search committees.  It was brought up that HLC did point out that we should do a better job reflecting diversity of our student population.

Board Meeting Tuesday, 10/16 – Master Agreement for 2018-2021 was approved.  Concern was expressed about several board members’ remarks concerning the recently approved contract at the October meeting

KNEA Leadership Training –  Training opportunity for emerging young faculty leaders.  Day and half program with different dates possible.  Around 8 years of experience is desired.  If you think of someone or are interested, send to Melanie.

Alliance Uniserve Rep – Board position is available.  This is the state board for KNEA. Anyone can run for this, nomination form and need 25 signatures.  Would be completing a partial term of 2 years.

 

Calendar – This is going to be a big deal implementing the 15 week semesters.  There was concern in the Calendar Committee that we would not be following the math requested by KBOR to meet the minute requirement 750 per credit hour.

Mickey has talked with Academic Affairs at KBOR – it looks like we will be aligned with what everyone else does currently in the state.

Some options are flexible with the extra days:

  • Grades due on Monday after finals and then have the extra days after grades are due (some of deadlines would be moved – such as Program Review, Assessment, etc).
  • Fall Break during Thanksgiving week. Students are off but faculty are working.
  • Dead Day between last day of semester and finals.

Those present were more in favor of spreading out workdays during the semester while students are present rather than having the extra days once the students are gone.

Those present in favor of a Dead Day between semester and finals.

It was mentioned starting semester on Wednesday was helpful for online classes so you can orient the first few days and then have the full week following to get into the materials.

Moving the due date for turning in grades would be helpful.

Meeting adjourned at 4:46pm.

**********************************************

Thursday, September 20, 2018

GEB 375, 3pm

Members Present: Melanie Harvey (President), Jim Leiker (VP), Terri Easley-Giraldo (Secretary), Eve Blobaum (Treasurer), Brian Wright (Uniserv Rep), Tammy Baltzell (KNEA Uniserv), Patrick Lafferty, Diane Davis, David Davis, Barry Herron, David Krug, Deb Williams, Rhonda Barlow, Russ Hanna, Jim McWard, Vin Clark, Jeff Lewis, James Byrnes, Beth Edmonds, Brett Cooper, Larry Weaver, Scott Gilmore, Gretchen Thum, Charlie Randazzo, Sheryl Hadley, Kathryn Byrne, Anna Page, Jeff Anderson, Bill McFarlane, Dennis Arjo, Mark Swails, Tai Edwards, Jay Antle, Joe Weis, Marilyn Senter, Ron Palcic, Terri Teal, Steve Giambrone, Doug Copeland

President Melanie Harvey called the meeting to order at 3:31pm

Treasurer’s Report – Eve Blobaum

Exploring options for the bank accounts to see if there is a better option to avoid transfer fees.

DLAC Update – Dave Davis

DLAC now has a faculty chair, Dave Davis.  The idea is that the face and agenda of the committee is driven by the faculty.  At the first meeting this semester, Dr. McCloud came to give information on required annual Canvas Training and to ask for input on administrative oversight of online classes to monitor required syllabus and grade postings.  He asked DLAC to craft policy and procedures and DLAC will be discussing at the upcoming meetings.

KOPS – Barry Herron

Gave an update on auto-lock installations in Nursing and will slowly happen across campus.  New KOPS newsletter is coming out.  Budget for tourniquets kits on campus.  On a related note – Melanie gave update that Stoll Park wants to complete connection to campus and install bollards so that they could allow evacuation if needed to and from campus in case of an emergency.  The neighborhood association is worried about their property values and this becoming an actual street.

Updates from FA President – Melanie

-Some posters from Blood and Soil which is a white supremacy group.  They are not authorized so please take them down if you see them.

-Learning Quality – they presented a change in sabbatical presentations and will be giving specific guidelines for your presentation to Learning Quality.

-Board Retreat – College Promise.  Wanted to give a heads up on potential future plans.  This would be offered to students from Johnson County High Schools coming to JCCC for the first time immediately after graduation. They must be financial aid eligible and fill out FAFSA.  The college guarantees they’d get full tuition so the college would cover what financial aid doesn’t.  They would also have to participate in Pathways.  Cost estimate based on the enrollment of students that would have qualified for this program from the past two years is 1.4 million each year. They anticipate attracting only an additional 200 students each year to JCCC with this program. Randy Weber will be coming to a future meeting to give more information and answer questions.

-Chairs – There will be a town hall announced in the future.  After the All-Faculty Meeting this fall, it was suggested that smaller groups of discussion would be helpful and more constructive.  The idea is that the Deans take the current draft to the Chairs in their area and the Chairs will talk to their areas and give feedback, comments and concerns.  The understanding is that the discussions should happen in smaller groups.  If you have concerns about chairs in your area, please contact your Dean, but also let Melanie know so she is aware and can advocate.

-3rd HLC Town Hall scheduled for Oct 8th 3:30-4:30 in GEB 233.

Negotiations Update – Negotiation Team

Presented how we got to where we are today and what the tentative agreement is which is a 3% raise each year for the next 3 years with the other tentative agreements that have been communicated to faculty in the spring.  More information will be presented to faculty once we have Board approval on the tentative agreement.

Meeting adjourned at 4:57pm.

*******************************************

Thursday, August 23, 2018

GEB 375, 3pm

Members Present: Melanie Harvey (President), Jim Leiker (VP), Terri Easley-Giraldo (Secretary), Eve Blobaum (Treasurer), Brian Wright (Uniserv Rep), Larry Weaver, Cherie Leiker, Brett Cooper, Janette Funaro, Diane Davis, Rhonda Barlow, David Davis, Jim McWard, Vin Clark, Bill McFarlane, Danny Alexander, Dennis Arjo, Nathan Jones, Kristen Hurth, Barry Heron, Scott Crompton, Scott Gilmore, Laura Jacobs, Myra Young, Diana Hurst, Ron Palcic

President Melanie Harvey called the meeting to order at 3:32pm

Guests- Dr. McCloud (arriving at 4pm to listen to Shared Governance Discussion) and Farrell Jenab

Faculty Development Changes – Farrell Jenab

As per AQIP committee recommendations and Cabinet approval, the position of Faculty Development Coordinator has moved out of Staff Development into Instruction.  Farrell reports to Mickey now and will teach 1 class per semester in her discipline.  Many plans for the future such as getting an advisory board and a space for faculty to collaborate and get together and “develop”.  Elaine Sinn is also with Faculty Development and they are currently housed temporarily in the Ed Tech Center.  They are here to help with any paperwork/loopholes as well as how to navigate funding sources.  One thing from the AQIP study that is challenging is money/budget and that will still be worked out.

Plug for Master Teacher Workshop – On October 2, from 11am-2pm there will be a Master Teacher open House.  Applications will be available and due on10/19.  The 2019 Master Teacher workshop will be Jan 15-17 during PDD week.

Treasurer Report – Eve Blobaum

Plan to look for a way to update accounts to avoid transaction fees.

Updates from FA President – Melanie Harvey

New Attorney for KNEA – Marjie Blaufuss was at special session meeting.  David Schauner has retired.

New Uniserv Rep – As of September 4, Tammy Baltzell is the new person in position.  This is our first-step contact person.  Currently Rex Hull has been filling this role.   Gene Neely was in this position previously.

Facilities Naming Committee – The Foundation is currently in a fundraising effort. If a large contribution is made, they consider naming the building after them in exchange for contribution.  There is a list of potential buildings up for naming/donations.  The Carlsen Center is currently on the list.  The fact they are looking to rename it as part of fundraising is encouraging.

Cyber-Security Threat – FA was targeted by an attack.  A very sophisticated attack where they had done research on who officers were.  FA has not lost anything, but wanted to make aware of these attacks.  We’ve instituted a few new policies.  Brett Cooper pointed out this happened previously when Dennis Arjo transitioned into President.

LENS Lunch – 10 new Faculty members.  Some have joined the FA

Memberships – Trying to reach out to people to join FA.  Right now about 60% of Faculty are part of FA.  In past there have been years where we are higher.  Membership forms are electronic and also available on the FA blog.

Division Delegates / Advocates – bylaws said by May, but we haven’t set meeting times/dates for next year so makes it tricky.  1 year terms, no term limits.

Currently we have:

Diane Davis – English/Journalism

Larry Weaver – Science

Need representatives from the following divisions:

-Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences

-Business

-Communication

-Health Care and Wellness

-Math

-Technology

-Counseling

Release Time for FA President

Historically what has been given is not what is in the contract.  Now we’ve been told they are following contract.  The FA President will get 3 hours each semester in summer, fall, spring.  For people running in the future, this is the way they are interpreting the contract.  Because of this release time arrangement, Melanie will try to delegate some of the duties to officers when possible.

HLC Report

Link to report was posted today on InfoList – Can be found here.

2 Town Hall Meetings are currently scheduled:

–11 a.m. to noon, Wednesday, Aug. 29, in GEB 233

–1 to 2 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 11, in GEB 233

Faculty asked for more opportunities for town halls – not times when faculty are teaching.  The 2 scheduled meetings are currently during prime teaching time.

3 basic issues from HLC as shared by Joe during All-Staff Meeting. 

Issue 1 – A report outlining the academic governance structure, including academic leadership, academic and faculty committees, and faculty, including adjunct faculty to include communication processes and protocols between the committees, leadership, and faculty.

Issue 2 – The outline of shared governance protocols and communication between faculty, academic leadership and JCCC leadership.

Issue 3 – An outline of decision-making protocols, as well as communications protocols, when decisions are final.

Dr. McCloud is here to listen to our conversation.  As a starting place, give about 20 minutes to talk about where we think shared governance is working well and list places we think it is not working as well.

Where it is working/why is it working?

-When we populate college-wide committees – it is working to have some communication from Faculty Senate and the FA to recruit people.

-get real representatives of faculty and not people picked by administrators

-those picked for committees should communicate to faculty

-often faculty as a whole have no idea of all the committees on campus-need a list of     people who are on them, and what the charge of the committee and whether they have authority to make decisions or recommendations (Living document that is updated – John Clayton is working on this).

-AQIP initiative – can be solicited from anyone on campus.  Hasn’t been perfect, but is a process we are fairly familiar with at this point.  Can communicate through Sheri Barrett’s office the results.  Clear guidelines and goals.  And action has been taken on them, such as the Faculty Development one.

-Curriculum Approval/Ed Affairs – sense of shared ownership that faculty have vetted courses and modifications

-Department Governance/Chair model – there has been more ownership over the instruction of their disciplines.

-When administrators attend faculty meetings and faculty are able to attend administration meetings (attend each other’s meetings)

Where are the places we definitely need some work and improvement?

-Faculty need to take some responsibility because some of us don’t want to be engaged or on committees – there is a “culture of disengagement”

-Don’t have enough faculty representation on committees (such as having 12 members and only 2 are faculty).  Faculty are more in line with dealing with students.  Should be more around 50% faculty participation

-Need to schedule meetings when faculty can attend – times that go around teaching schedules.  Maybe an hour a week we don’t have any classes so we can have meetings.

-Allow zoom as an option for those who can’t be physically present.  Also make recordings and minutes available from meetings.

-IDC – having an issue with it being closed and secret.  No minutes.  Some Deans release documents and some don’t.

-Consistent communication – Deans communicate differently- some explain rationale and some don’t.

-Biggest blowups result from ignoring faculty expertise such as cut-scores since faculty are the ones who work with students.  Decisions made at IDC or President’s Council and they might have be delayed or prevented if faculty had been present.

-Lot of decisions made during the summer when faculty aren’t on campus and the excuse is “well you weren’t around and decisions had to be made.”  Can still ask faculty to join and not require them to be here.

-Amount of time now required doing administrative “crap” that prevents me from doing what I’m supposed to do of improving and teaching.

-Program Review – had faculty input at the beginning – it was every 3 years and then it moved to every year.    Felt like a betrayal because changed decision on timeframe without consulting faculty.  The process itself is intense and takes away time from teaching.  Also hurts smaller departments and is more work.

-Bias towards uniformity /one size fits all/ failure to accept diversity– great complexity from one department to another. Decisions are made to apply equally to all departments.

Update on NEA RA/Alliance – Brett Cooper

One of few unions that meet annually.  Voting on budget, and sets legislative agendas and priorities for next year.  Higher Ed issues:  It was voted that October will be National Higher Education Month. No debate or discussion on it.  NEA attempt to publicize and advocate for transparency on the issue of private organizations funding specific programs at college/university level.

NEA RA is always first week of July and is in Houston next year.

UNISERV Alliance – it’s us, School for Deaf, and Lawrence, and Blue Valley.  Several positions to fill.  Will be updating the bylaws this year.

Negotiations Update – Jim Leiker

We are at impasse for those that didn’t know.  Sept 19th is set aside for the federal mediator with both teams.  Rhonda and the Research Team has been working to collect and gather information.  Many thanks to them for all of their works on gathering information.  If mediation fails, it goes to fact-finding.  If you have questions, can contact any of the team members.

Meeting adjourned at 4:50pm.