Minutes – September 24, 2019

Johnson County Community College
Faculty Senate Minutes
September 24, 2019
RC 181

Senators Present:

Madison Huber-Smith, Bill McFarlane, Sheryl Hadley, Shahla Nikravan, Bob Carney, Suzanne Smith, Susie Gibbar, Frankie Wainwright, Geraldine Dotson, Todd Watson, Jason Lamping, Jessica Tipton, Shirley Wing (alt), Beth Edmonds, Scott Craig, Justin Dunham, Patrick Lafferty, Jeffrey Oden, Patrick Dobson (alt), Theresa McChesney (Educational Affairs liason)

Senators Absent:

Nanette Lanier, Scott Gilmore, Kristen Harth (sabbatical), Tatiana Scanlan, Melanie Harvey (Faculty Association liason)

Guests Present:
Katherine Bailes, Vin Clark, Tara Karaim, Barry Bailey, Randy Weber

  1. Call to Order

Beth Edmonds called the meeting to order at 3:03 PM.

  1. Open Forum

No comments were made.

  1. Vote on Minutes from the August Meeting

Frankie Wainwright moved to accept, Bob Carney seconded, and the motion was carried.

  1. Senate President’s Remarks

In terms of the governance of this college I could say that a lot and a little has happened in the month since our last meeting. We have two new task forces, both of which are now populated and have begun working. I’m anxious to listen to a report today from faculty members from both of these task forces: the institution-wide shared governance task force and the academic branch faculty shared governance task force.

However, at the same time that these task forces have begun their work, we continue to hear things which give cause for concern. First, I’ll give you three examples:

1)   “I (we) always get the opinion of faculty before I (we) make decisions.”

2)   “The board meets monthly with faculty leadership in Collegial Steering.”

3)   “We have lots of committees at JCCC with faculty membership.”

To be perfectly clear, none of these are indicative of an institution which follows the tenets, which utilizes policies and procedures which guarantee shared governance. These statements are only indicative of a speaker who either does not understand shared governance or seeks actively to obscure the truth.

Don’t get me wrong. I am a proponent of all three of the things I mentioned. But, my caution for you today is that you must not let anyone convince you that the system we currently work under is shared governance. As I sit in meetings where the term “Shared Governance” is bandied about as heads in the room enthusiastically nod, I worry that we will miss the forest for the trees. This body must not allow that to happen. Each of us must keep a close watch on events. On behalf of those who elected you, make certain that you know what is going on each step of the way. Ask questions and share wisdom.

To paraphrase my remarks to the BOT last week “Hearing the words “Shared Governance” spoken should not lead the listener to presume the speaker has an understanding of its basic tenets. What we say and what we think are important. But, even more important is what we do, the actions we take. With the creation of two task forces charged with determining the near future of shared governance at JCCC, we have committed to educating ourselves about Shared Governance. More than that, JCCC has declared its desire to design and implement policies and procedures that show to our community and our accrediting body, that the faculty, administration, and trustees of JCCC will do more than speak or think about shared governance. We will commit to act in accordance with its principles.”

Our role as Faculty Senators is to keep open lines of communication and to support the faculty members of the two task forces. They must not be seduced into accepting anything less than a model we can be proud to work under for the next many years. We are extremely fortunate in our representation. Vin Clark, Sheryl Hadley, and Katherine Bales are representing the full faculty on the institution-wide task force and since the three of them are here in this room, I take this opportunity to thank them for their service on our behalf. Justin Dunham, Faculty Senate secretary, is the FS representative on the faculty shared-governance task force. I know he will be diligent in his efforts and will represent us well. Thank you, Justin.

For us, as Senators, we need to make certain that we work hard for the rest of this academic year in order that the Senate is best placed to take on whatever role the task force envisions. We will work in a way that is constructive and inclusive. We will believe and act in accordance with the tenets of Shared Governance.

Whether you were expecting it or not, you have found yourselves serving on the JCCC Faculty Senate during this crucial year. “We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.” It will not be acceptable to simply attend a monthly meeting and then forget about the work of the Senate in the intervening four weeks. But don’t worry, you have all you need to help out. As this body assumes the role it was designed and created for within the academic branch, we will rely more and more on the work of our standing committees to help steer the full Senate. I envision a Senate where all sitting members are committed to the good work of at least one of our committees. Simply volunteer for a committee and then interact with other Senators to make improvements and to ensure that the Senate is working behind the scenes as smoothly as possible.

In my opinion, there are many areas where a trusted and supported Faculty Senate can be the best arena to ensure that the faculty voice is not only heard but acknowledged and acted upon. It is my singular goal this academic year to help the Faculty Senate to become the valued resource that every person sitting at this table knows it can be.

    1. Invited Speakers
      1. Katherine Bailes, Vin Clark, and Sheryl Hadley updated the Senate on the Institutional Shared Governance Task Force. Two meetings have been held, with research done on the shared governance at other colleges and universities nationwide.
      2. Justin Dunham updated the Senate on the Academic Branch Shared Governance Task Force. One meeting has been held, with work being done to establish ground rules going forward and a schedule of meetings every Friday until November. Concerns were voiced about the process by which Jim Hopper was determined to be the facilitator. Patrick Lafferty requested more detailed information about the meetings for both task forces.
      3. Barry Bailey updated the Senate on the KBOR Open Education Resources steering committee meeting. KBOR has put together a committee to review OER in the state, looking at student textbook costs; the statewide task force will meet monthly
      4. Randy Weber reported on a recent incident at JCCC involving two people and three posters from the American Identity Movement, a white supremacist group. He expounded upon general JCCC approval procedures for posters and answered questions posed by faculty members. It was suggested that a brief email to faculty would have been appropriate, if only to let faculty know that appropriate steps have been taken.
      5. Tara Karaim gave information about the Community-Based Learning program at JCCC, including newsletter and mini-grant information, as well as how service learning awards are presented.
  1. Standing Committees Reports
      • Elections Committee
        • Todd Watson asked to get information about which Senate terms end in which years, in the hopes of realigning the elections so that approximately one-third of the terms end each year.
      • Adjunct Affairs Committee
        • Jeff Oden announced that two adjunct faculty are on the Academic Branch Shared Governance Task Force, and one adjunct faculty is on the Institutional Shared Governance Task Force. He also now has a standing meeting with Dr. McCloud, and is hoping to work with Farrell Hoy Jenab to add an adjunct faculty member to the Faculty Development Office as an extra resource for adjunct faculty on campus.
      • Communication Committee
        • Patrick Lafferty announced that there have been updates to the website, and that there continue to be issues with email for adjunct faculty, which makes communication within the division paramount in disseminating information.
      • Constitution and By-laws Committee
        • Justin Dunham announced that work will be done to update the description of Senate representation from Group 10, as the wording is poor. The Committee will also discuss the motion to allow electronic voting, determine when the new Senators take office, and when/how vacant seats should be filled.
  1. Faculty Senate Liaisons
    1. KOPS
      1. Advisory Board Suzanne Smith announced that she is an official member of this board and offered to also serve as the FS liaison. Patrick Lafferty moved that Suzanne be named as liaison, Bob Carney seconded, and the motion carried. Suzanne then updated the Senate that KOPS’ monthly meetings include safety concerns – training for possibly offensive situations – she asks for any suggestions to be sent to her – distributed KOPS newsletter and quick-reference card – concerns about safety-related training being available.
    2. OLAC
      1. Bill McFarlane nominated Sheryl Hadley to be the Faculty Senate liaison to OLAC, and Justin Dunham seconded. The motion carried. The OLAC update is on the following pages. Management Committee Beth announced that there is currently no liaison to Management Committee meetings and asked for a volunteer. The meetings are the first Wednesday of each month from 8 – 9:30 AM.
    3. OER Committee
      1. As Barry Bailey had reported on OER-related events earlier in the meeting, no new update was given.
  1. Call for New Business

There being no further new business, the meeting was adjourned at 4:54 PM.

Agenda – October 22, 2019

Johnson County Community College
Faculty Senate Agenda
October 22, 2019
RC 175, 3:00-5:00 PM

    1. Call to Order
    2. Open Forum
    3. Vote on Minutes from August 2019 Meeting
    4. Senate President’s Remarks
    5. Invited Speakers
      1. Institutional Shared Governance Task Force – Katherine Bailes, Sheryl Hadley, Faculty Member 3
      2. Faculty Shared Governance Task Force – Justin Dunham
      3. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force – Tai Edwards
      4. Master Teacher Workshop – Rhonda Barlow
      5. President Search Committee Update – Theresa McChesney & Melanie Harvey
      6. Faculty Association – Melanie Harvey
      7. Educational Affairs – Theresa McChesney
      8. KBOR OER Committee – Barry Bailey (Kansas Board of Regents, Open Educational Resources Committee)
      9. Continuous Quality Improvement – Sheri Barrett
    6. Senate Standing Committee Reports:
      1. Adjunct Affairs Committee – Jeff Oden
      2. Faculty Communication Committee  – Patrick Lafferty
      3. Constitution and By-laws Committee – Justin Dunham
      4. Election Committee – Todd Watson
    7. Senate Liaisons
      1. KOPS – Suzanne Smith
      2. OLAC – Sheryl Hadley
      3. OER Committee – Patrick Lafferty
      4. Management Committee – TBD
    8. Old Business
    9. Call for New Business

Next Executive Committee meeting November 12th in RC 154

Next Faculty Senate Meeting November 19th in RC 175