food: Korean

One of the best parts of any trip through Springfield MO is a stop Golden Korean Restaurant (map). Korean meals come with the traditional 5-6 small dishes that make the experience fun. The soft tofu soup (with a raw egg thrown in to cook at your table – hurry if you like the yolk soft) rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/get_player

The best Korean food food I’ve found tho is in Overland Park. Rainbow Korean has the best ChapJae (a chewy clear noodle dish with meat and veg) and Bulgogi I’ve had (very tender and flavorful. This reviewer agrees tho he seems hung up on the decor). The KimBab (Korean Sushi roll – but don’t call it sushi in a Korean Restaurant please) isn’t bad either – but if an awesome fresh “sushi” experience interests you – hit the Asian supermarket across the street on the weekend. They make it right in front of you and you get 2 big rolls (sliced for convenience) for only 5$.

For some reason I can’t find directions thru the interwebs so pardon my lame map. If you fail to great the waitress in Korean – or if one or more of your party is visibly non-Asian – you may have to ask for chop sticks and KimChi which come with some meals (if they think you’d like them, but maybe because stereotypical non-Asians balk at the smell of KimChi…), but otherwise the service is pleasant.

The also have a Korean version of Kung Pao Chicken – there should be a picture on the wall – it is amazing. I can’t remember what they call it. (Kiangpang chicken?) It’s a Korean take on a Chinese dish – as opposed to the American take usually found in Chinese restaurants.

2 thoughts on “food: Korean