JCCC Archives presents the Sleuthing Series, where every Tuesday, we bring you an image from our past and ask you to help us find out more!
What We Know
- The 1970-1971 and the 1971-1972 JCCC college catalogs list Dental Assisting only as one of the probable options under Health Professions, and displayed this note: “Supplemental information about the above programs may be obtained from the Director of Admissions.”
- When the 1972-1973 catalog was published, two separate programs were described. The Dental Assistant Program was “in affiliation with Penn Valley Community College, Kansas City, MO,” a program already approved by the American Dental Association. The Dental Hygiene Program, however, was proprietary to JCCC, not monitored by another institution.
- The 1978-1979 catalog was the first to announce that the Dental Hygiene Program was also accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
- The 1983-1984 catalog was the last to include the Dental Assisting program, still listed as a cooperative program with Penn Valley. The next year, only Dental Hygiene was listed, and stressing that the graduates could be “a member of the health care team” and licensed to provide direct patient care.
- Some of the early instructors in this area were Beth Reynolds (later Matthews), Diane Perkins (later Wuthnow), Elizabeth Pitz, Sally West, Anita Brown, and Judith Burngen.
What We Don’t Know
- In what year did the Dental Hygiene Program actually attain ADA accreditation?
- Which (other than those mentioned above) early or long-time Dental Science instructors do you remember?
- The pinning ceremony happens near the beginning of the spring semester. What was the significance of the rose in the Pinning Ceremony? and what does pinning mean?
- Many teaching/learning devices are pictured below. What are they called and what do they teach?
If You Know More…
Contact librarians: Anita Gordon Gilmore (firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 4369) or John Russell (email@example.com, ext. 3284). You may also comment below!