Assessment is Like a Chicago Hot Dog

20150911_134232 Sheri's Chicago hot dog

I was recently in Chicago for a conference and made my regular pilgrimage to obtain the ultimate of all hot dogs, a true Chicago dog.  Now, please understand that in my family we considers ourselves connoisseurs of hot dogs:  my dad loved them, my brothers still find them tasty, and I’ve certainly consumed my fair share of them. But let’s be honest, there is just something special about a Chicago dog.

First of all, the Chicago hot dog has LOTS of ingredients.  The hot dog has to be served in a poppy-seed bun with yellow mustard and white onions, and should be smothered in sweet pickle relish with a touch of mint.  Next added are a couple of peppers, some tomatoes, a kosher dill pickle spear, and just a pinch of celery salt.  My very favorite version includes an all-beef “char-dog” where the hot dog is grilled over charcoal.  Now that is the penultimate hot dog treat!

You would think a mash-up of such unusual flavors would not work well together, but, in fact, it does.  As I sat looking down at my Chicago dog last week, I inexplicably thought of assessment.  And then I realized why. All the various disciplines and programs at the college come with unique goals, course objectives and learning outcomes, as well as different student populations.  Faculty bring to the mix diverse ideas of what constitutes good assessment in their courses and differing thoughts on the importance of assessment.

But despite this mash-up of differences and ideas, there is a common ingredient in all of assessment—improving student learning.  Improving student learning is unquestionably the key ingredient that makes the entire set of ingredients work together.  So bring on all the unique flavors of assessment! I know that through the talent of the faculty, all components of assessment from across the college will blend well into a thriving program!

Sheri H. Barrett, Ed.D.