Math 242 OER Prep

Online 242 Information

Welcome

This site is for students who are considering enrolling in professor Grondahl’s online Calculus II course or who have enrolled and are curious what the course will be like once the semester starts.

I use this site as a way of prepping the course in advance, so it is a work in progress and some details may change, but it will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Caveats

Many students find Calculus II to be the most difficult in the sequence and taking it in an online format makes it even more so.
I would recommend it for students that received an A or B in Calculus I within the last semester or two.
This course will require 15-20 hours a week of your time. This material takes time to absorb, so it requires multiple 3-4 hour chunks during the week. Take a moment and fill out a typical weekly schedule for yourself and see where you would fit in these 5-6 chunks of 3-4 hours.

Tentative Schedule

This lays out which material we will be covering each week as well as which weeks we will have our unit exams

Typical Week

Each week we will cover 2-3 sections of material. You will be responsible for the following.

Read the material in the textbook. We will be using a free online textbook from the OpenStax Project out of Rice University. OpenStax Calculus II

Watch my lecture videos. I have a series of videos where I introduce the concepts from the section and work stereotypical examples. They are available publically in a YouTube playlist.

Work the recommended textbook exercises. At the end of each section in the textbook, I have selected what I feel is an appropriate number of exercises for a typical student to learn the material. In some instances, you may feel you need to work additional problems. I do not collect the homework as I expect you to work the exercises conscientiously and ask me questions when you have trouble. I will, however, have you scan and turn in one basic exercise from each section. This is done so I can critique your use of notation, clarity of argumentation, and overall presentation of work.

Turn in a concept check. The concept check is a series of questions to make sure we understand the conceptual end of things. In other words the “why” instead of the “how”. These often address things that I cover in the videos or that are discussed in the textbook. These questions often come up naturally in the course of a face-to-face version of this course.

Work online electronic homework. I am experimenting with a free online homework system this semester called WeBWork. Each section, you will have a small selection of exercises to work in this system. As this is new to me, I do not want to rely too heavily on it, but it is nice in that I will be writing up full solutions to each exercise I write for the system, so you can get a more detailed look at how I would expect the solution to be presented. Also, it is a way for me to supplement some areas where I feel the textbook may not have enough exercises. The first time you log in your username is your JCCC username without the @stumail.jccc.edu and your password is your JCCC ID # without the leading zeros.

Example:
Username: rgrondahl
Password: 123456

Unit Material

Unit One: Applications of Integration

Unit Two: Integration Techniques

Unit Three: Infinite Series (Coming Soon)

Unit Four: Taylor Series / Parametric Equations / Polar Coordinates (Coming Soon)