Lecture Capture: Techsmith Relay – Quick Start Guide
You can use Techsmith Relay to record your classroom lectures (including the computer screen and audio). Your recording is automatically uploaded to the Relay server and is saved in two formats; and published to online destinations where your students can view and/or listen to your recording(s).
As a presenter you would log into Relay using your JCCC username and password(You must request an account via the helpdesk first). Your username associates your profile with the recording(s) you create. This automates the encoding and publication of the recording to an unlisted Youtube or (file share) or on JCCC’s video server. Guest access allows presenters who do not have Relay accounts to record a presentation using a Guest Profile.
To Obtain the Techsmith Relay Software Client
If you wish to use Relay in a classroom (where you do not have administrative rights) or in your college office (where you may not have administrative rights), you have two options:
- Contact the Help Desk (x4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org) and ask for a Video Manager account and to have the CR Recorder client installed or
- Follow the instructions below:
- Open https://relay.jccc.edu/ in your browser.
- Login with your JCCC network/OWA username and password.
- Click on the Download Relay Recorders link on the right side of the screen.
- Select the operating system, Windows or Mac, or you can use the portable recorder (for installation on a flash drive).
- When prompted and given a choice, select the Run button, or Save if using a portable recorder.
- Once downloaded you’ll see another Run button, click it, and then click the Install button when it appears.
- Once the software has been installed, the Techsmith Relay dialog box appears. You can log in now or later. If you choose to log in later, you’ll see the record button but if you record now, you’ll be using a guest account and not your own. If you choose to log in now, you’ll need to enter your user name and password and click the Log In button (and you can skip the next section).
To Start Relay
- Double click the Techsmith Relay icon on your desktop. If this icon is not on your desktop, use the Start menu: Programs > TechSmith > Techsmith Relay.
- Enter your JCCC username and password.
- Click the Log In button.
To Choose a Profile and Enter a Presentation Title
A Profile is a combination of record, encode, and publish settings. Profiles are specific to CR users and determine recording quality, conversion format(s), and destinations for published recordings.
- Select a Profile from the dropdown menu. Your choices are Standard Formats (use this in most cases) or Upload and Decide Later.
- Enter a presentation name in the Title field for this recording.
- Enter a description for your presentation in the Description field.
Note: the Title and Description fields can be modified later.
To Make a Recording
- Click the big red REC (Record) button. After a three-second countdown, Relay is minimized to the system tray. At this point, CR is recording everything that displays on your computer screen and everything you say into your microphone. Don’t panic if you can’t start immediately. You’ll be able to easily trim extra “footage” from the beginning and end of your recording before it is posted for student access.
- When you want to pause or stop recording, click the Pause or Stop buttons. Note the following quick keys can be used:
- Press F9 to start and pause your recording
- Press F10 to stop recording.
To Post a Recording
When you stop recording, the Relay Review window is displayed. From this window, you can playback the recording before you decide to submit it or not. You can also trim excess footage from the beginning and end of the presentation, change the Profile, Title or Description before submitting (publishing) the video.
- When you are ready to post your recording, click the Submit button (or you can discard it using the Discard button). Do not shut down your computer right after hitting Submit. Allow about 5-10 minutes for your video to be transferred the Relay Server, depending on the duration of your recording.