Honors Students

Kansas State University

Q: Do you accept transfer students in your Honors Program/College?

A: Yes.

Q: How do transfer students apply to your Honors Program/College?

A: Transfer students must have a 3.5+ GPA from their prior institution to be eligible for the University Honors Program.

Transfer students apply to the Honors Program through the K-State application portal. You will be invited to complete a short supplemental application for the Honors Program when you begin the university application.

If you are applying to K-State through the Common App, the same supplemental UHP application will be available in that portal.

Priority deadline for fall start is Dec 1 – applications will be reviewed after that time, but it may be best to contact the office directly to be sure that it is received: ksuhonors@ksu.edu

Q: How selective is your program when it comes to transfer students?

A:  For transfer students, if they have a 3.5 GPA at the institution they are transferring from, they are likely to be admitted (pending an acceptable essay). If they do not have a 3.5 from their transfer institution, we will not accept them (period). In that instance, they can apply to our program again after their first semester at K-State if they earn a 3.5 in that first semester.

If a student is finishing high school when they apply, we will consider them as a high school senior applicant rather than as a transfer applicant, no matter how many dual credits they have completed.

Q: Does your institution offer a Phi Theta Kappa scholarship? If so, how much may transfer students count on? What are the restrictions?

A: Yes, $500 non-renewable.

Q: Are transfer students eligible for honors-specific scholarships or awards?

A: No –  we do not offer any honors-specific scholarships.

Q: What are your Honors Program/College completion requirements?

A: In addition to holding a 3.5+ GPA at the time of graduation, UHP students will be required to complete requirements in four distinct categories:

  • a one-credit Honors First-Year Seminar course
  • four honors Courses (12 credit hours)
  • three Co-curricular Experiences
  • an honors Project

Q: Do you accept community college honors course credit or experiences toward completion of your Honors Program/College?

A: Students may transfer honors courses from another accredited college or university to fulfill some of the Honors Program requirements. At a minimum the following must be completed at K-State:

  • at least two courses or co-curricular experiences
  • the honors project
  • the UHP 189: Honors First-Year Seminar requirement (may be satisfied through the transfer of HON 100 or HON 250 from JCCC)

Q: Does your Honors Program/College offer a seminar or track specific to transfer students? How do you support transfer students in your program?

A: Requirements and supports in the program are the same regardless of when you come in. We are always happy to meet with students individually to offer advising to transfer students but we don’t differentiate that in any way currently (the same would be true for students who were not transfers).