Do you accept transfer students in your Honors Program/College?
Yes – to be admitted, transfer students most have:
- Completed at least 12 college credit hours
- 3.7 cumulative GPA (includes transfer and dual credit grades)
- Have less than 75 total credit hours (includes transfer and AP/IB credits) OR not be beyond the fifth semester of your college career
How do transfer students apply to your Honors Program/College?
Transfer students who meet the above criteria will see a link to the Honors College application on their status page. The Honors College Application will ask you to submit the following:
- List 3-5 organizations that define your interest, experiences, and what you hope to accomplish. Include roles, responsibilities, and length of involvement.
- Personal Statement of 500-750 words that addresses the following:
- Why you want to be a part of the MU Honors College and how the Honors College can enhance your college experience.
- A description of your academic and career goals. Include any special interests: research, leadership, etc.
- How you plan to complete the 24-credit hour certificate. List courses or experiences (study abroad, research, etc.) that you are interested in completing.
Deadlines for application:
- Fall: July 1 | Notification: August 1| Priority Registration: Summer & Spring
- Spring: December 15 | Notification: January 15 | Priority Registration: Fall
Does your institution offer a Phi Theta Kappa scholarship? If so, how much may transfer students count on? What are the restrictions?
For both in-state and out of state: $1,000. Phi Theta Kappa may be combined with other awards. All scholarships are subject to change without notice, so please confirm at the time of your application.
Are transfer students eligible for honors-specific scholarships or awards?
While there are not specific scholarships available upon transfer for the Honors college, continuing students are eligible to apply for many scholarships or awards to help offset costs of experiential learning (such as research or study abroad).
What are your Honors Program/College completion requirements?
Students who complete 24 or more hours of courses for honors credit and maintain a 3.5 cumulative GPA are eligible to graduate with an Honors Certificate.
Do you accept community college honors course credit or experiences toward completion of your Honors Program/College?
You may be able to transfer up to 9 credit hours to count toward the Honors Certificate if they appear on your transcript as honors credits.
What is your recommended timeline for application?
December 15 for students starting in spring. July for for students starting in fall.