JCCC Archives presents the Sleuthing Series, where every Tuesday, we bring you an image from our past and ask you to help us find out more!
What We Know
- The two pages copied from Southwind Review 1970 embodies the history of the first Cheerleading squad at JCCC. BTW this publication is the one and only JCCC Yearbook. (A double click on the image above will enlarge it.)
- Page 37 of Southwind Review introduces The Sunflowers, the college dance team. Only one of the 1970 cheerleaders, Rita Sullivan, is also listed as a member of the Sunflowers dance team.
- Today we have the Golden Girls. In jcccathletics.com, it notes that the Golden Girls Dance Team “dances and cheers at all men’s and women’s Cavalier home basketball games, select volleyball games, and campus events.”
What We Don’t Know
- The evolution is not clear, but it appears that The Golden Girls Dance Team embodies, not only the original cheerleading squad, but the Sunflowers as well.
- After 1986 we do not see any pictures of JCCC cheerleaders, and no Golden Girls until after 2000. Do you have any?
- If you see anyone you know in these pictures, please leave a comment and we will take it from there.
If You Know More…
Contact librarians: Anita Gordon Gilmore (email@example.com, ext. 4369) or John Russell (firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 3284). You may also comment below!