Visualizing Capital Punishment

The chart to the right shows (as it says) “Execution rates in G20 members in 2016.”  Statistics and their visual representations can be tricky things. Take a look at the chart and ask yourself what it says. I could draw a couple of different conclusions from it.

• Wow, Saudi Arabia and China execute people at an incredibly high rate. The United States’ rate is pretty close to zero by comparison, or . . .
  • Wow, the United States is one of only five nations among the G20 who still use capital punishment. The only people who use it more are Saudi Arabia and China, neither of which is often seen as human rights champions, or . . .
  • Wow, Russia claims not to use capital punishment, but they’re apparently murdering political enemies by poisoning them in England. Okay, that’s not exactly in the chart, but it did cross my mind.

In the end, I have to ask myself what Amnesty International was trying to say with this chart. Statistics and their graphical representations do not speak for themselves. The way in which they are presented and selected is a key tool for any writer.

This entry was posted in Research and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.