Who is this guy?

I’m Mark Browning, the owner and operator of this occasional fount of wisdom. Since you’re most likely a current or potential student, it seems fair to share a bit of information about who you’ll be dealing with in my course.

Since 1988, I’ve been teaching English at JCCC. For many years, I taught Comp I exclusively, but in recent campaigns, I’ve added several literature courses. Specifically, I’ve been the only teacher of Drama as Literature over the past 25 years. I wrote and teach Bible as Literature. For several years, I offered sections of Introduction to Writing, although that assignment has faded into the background recently. I’ve also become one of the department’s American Literature specialists, teaching American Prose.

Since 1982, I’ve been married to the most tolerant and understanding woman on this earth, Penny. We have four children, two of whom are current JCCC students, as well as four grandkids.

A few years back, Penny and I loaded up our suburban lifestyle and removed to the hinterlands of Lafayette County, Missouri. There, atop of a rocky hill, we live a rugged country existence, heating our home with wood and subsisting on roots and berries. (Okay, there might be just a bit of overstatement there.) We do maintain a flock of chickens, raise pigs for meat, and keep a goat for no apparent reason.

When I’m not hitching up the mules to come to JCCC, I spend a good bit of time writing, both in a professional and a scholarly vein. At present, I’m working on a variety of projects, any one of which would likely bore you beyond belief.