Johnson County Corrections Volunteering

Today I want to write a post about a cause that’s close to my heart. We all volunteer for different reasons, for different causes, and in different ways. The trick is to find an opportunity that fits your reasons, that’s for a cause you care about, and to help in a way that’s meaningful to you. When you’ve checked off those three things, you’ll know because you’ll be excited to keep going back. 

For me, one cause that I’m particularly passionate about is reducing recidivism. Recidivism is the tendency of a convicted criminal to reoffend. I think many people are capable of turning their life around, but often there are outside circumstances that keep them from doing so. I believe that rehabilitation and reducing recidivism – not just punishment – should be in the mission of every correctional facility. Johnson County is lucky to have a correctional facility like that. Here is their mission statement:

Johnson County Corrections supervises juvenile and adult offenders through progressive, effective and sound correction, rehabilitation, and recidivism reduction programs. The Corrections department forges partnerships to bridge the gap between offenders and the community by encouraging client responsibility and behavioral change. 

Another thing that’s awesome about Johnson County Corrections is that their volunteer opportunities are flexible. I also happen to be an artist, so helping people through art is very meaningful to me. When I reached out to the volunteer coordinator about teaching art to their clients, I didn’t know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised when she was as excited as I was! I have been teaching art classes there for about 6 months now and I absolutely love it! I go in twice a month and work with the adults. They are always so excited to see me and they are so grateful! I get about 20 ‘thank you’s’ a class. Every time I leave, I can’t wait to go back. 

I hope that everyone who reads this blog can find opportunities like this – opportunities that are meaningful to you and that serve a cause you care about! 

If Johnson County Corrections peaked your interest, make sure to visit their webpage and check out ways to get involved

Happy Volunteering!

Tara