Applied integrity in the Community College classroom

Think instructors are suspicious anal-retentive, obsessive compulsive, misanthropes? Could be, but check out corrupted-files.com. This service will corrupt your perfectly good paper that you turn in via email. That buys you 2 days to write, rewrite or revise your paper. The ultimate excuse for an extension – only $4.95!

I’ll repeat for the record, I do not allow email submissions for formal papers. A student or two emailed me a paper weeks ago or more. They won’t print it off and turn it in. I won’t either. Wish they’d talk to me. English teachers often like communication – it even figures in to course objectives.

Often this behavior co-presents with attendance issues. Many young people haven’t had to set their own priorities yet, and are just learning how. I’m coming to think excuses can be seen as a form of communication – regardless of their veracity. It’s the end of communication that disturbs me. Chronic absenteeism can be a rejection of an institutionally agreed on outcome.

At least it was when I was 19, but I shouldn’t judge all by my misspent youth.

And on the subject of communication. The college in general, and the English Dept. in particular are reacting and proacting to the H1N1 / Mondo-flu season. While a hardline approach to absences is what many students typically need – these are extenuating circumstances and times. There will be no excuse from work – or class, but there will be accommodations to allow everyone to more fully participate – even when sick. Not cynical, but not easily played; however, I don’t call anyone’s bluff when it comes to health.

Our objectives MUST be met for a student to pass. Students will get exactly what they earn. I’m allowing for make up points for those who miss class – Provided they respond or post a new thread to the daily notes discussion thread on ANGEL.

I jot notes (try to) every day during or after class in a discussion forum. Find it in the course documents folder. As long as sick students post to the daily discussion thread by noon the day of class, I’ll put an assignment in an online form that best recreates what we accomplished in class. They then have 48 hours make up the points from any place they can find a computer. Posting to the thread is private from the outside world, but shared with other classmates and team mates who care about and depend on each other. That thread could also be used for expressions of “get well” and the like.

All relevant due dates still apply.