Concurrent assignments.

I promised my comp 2 (122) students I’d survey other teachers on an issue. In class I outline the major papers and provide written assignment prompts with the syllabus on the first day of class. I also provide a “grade tracker” with due dates, points for each assignment, etc.

Before the final draft of the first assignment is due, I introduce in class the second paper in class and begin work – including posting topic choices and tentative thesis statements. After collecting the first paper, but before completing the process of writing the second paper – we address and start the third paper. We always start the next paper before completing the current assignment.

A former boss and professor got me started doing this – and I remember talking then about how this will likely be new for students and they may push back against it, but that it pushes the onus of time management from the teacher to the student, it more transparently communicates with the students, etc.

One of my classes pointed this out and questioned the practice – and it impressed me that they noticed an intentional andragogical decision. I’d forgotten that this may be new an challenging. I promised to survey other teachers at this school and perhaps other community colleges and question the ethics, relevance an merit . That practice (of concurrent assignments) started in a four year school – and reflected the educational theory and beliefs of that teaching community. It’s time for me to reassess the practice for the current student community.

If you teach composition 122, please take a moment to vote in the survey to the right.