On finals

Here is a link to the finals schedule for all classes at JCCC. Read it. I’m following the college determined final schedule.

I’m most of the way thru the iSearch papers. Next year we will make a bigger deal about the correct format for block quotes and works cited information. Other issues that have been covered in class but that I haven’t successfully gotten across to a large enough majority of students are:

• why is the hanging indent so hard to grasp? is it because we have to unlearn the standard indent?
  • And why do so many students quote sources that are NOT on the works cited page? Do students assume if they mention the author’s name or the periodical then it doesn’t need to be on the works page? Of course it does. That’s where complete bibliographic info should be found. I blogged about this on March 3rd in response to the SRTOL papers. I mentioned it in class, and on every paper I saw it on.
  • quote marks look like “this,” not ‘this.’ (and notice periods and commas go inside quotes.
  • any quote that appears on 4 lines should get block quotations treatment (also blogged on – issue addressed in class, etc.).
  • Read the assignment prompt and follow directions. That’s the criteria papers get graded by.

I’m not sure if these issues are pervasive – or if they irritate me so I dwell on them.

In our final you can summarize your iSearch in 2 minutes or less, then we’ll open the floor to questions from the class. Very relaxed. No PowerPoint presentations.