Cavalier Star Watch: Brooklynn Meinke

0
''

By James Howey

jhowey@jcccc.edu

meinke-small
Photo by Kate Jacobsen

Sophomore Brooklynn Meinke is the only two-sports star at the college. Mein­ke started on the girls’ soccer team last year as a freshmen and was fourth on the team with 11 goals last season. Meinke also runs indoor and outdoor track and had a very successful freshmen campaign in indoor track. This year Meinke is one of six sophomores on the soccer squad that looks to knock down the door and advance to nationals, which they were so close to last year. The Cavs are 3-2 on the season and Meinke has scored two goals in the season.

1. What do you think the team needs to do to make it further in the playoffs?
I definitley think we need to build our confidence. We have a young team, so I think once we all find that we have it in us, then we probably can’t be stopped by many teams in our conference.

2. What are some major strengths of the team and maybe some weakness?
Our strengths are that we have a lot of athleticism and we have a really good bond with each other. Our weakness is that we are hurt pretty much all the time so we have like no subs right now.

3. What has it been like for you this year in taking more of a leadership role on the team?
I’ve definitely gotten to know my coaches better. I’ve built a better relationship with them. I’ve been able to talk to them and see what we can do to be a better team and it’s just a different view on everything as opposed to just being a player.

4. What is it like playing two sports at the college? What are some challenges and things you like?
The worst is the lack of a break, my body kind of started to breakdown after a while. I definitely really enjoy getting to meet all the different people and like having two different things to take my mind off of; you go from soccer and you change your mentality and go to track. It’s definitely a totally different group of people and different coaching. It’s just really neat to get a feel for both of those.

5. What helps motivate you on the field to work your hardest and give it your all?
Well I definitely like to win. Winning is definitely a motiva­tor, but personally, I play and I do all the things for God, so that’s my biggest motivator.

6. What are some goals you set for yourself in either sport this year?
For soccer, it was definitely to do what I can for my team to get us to nationals. Definitely we deserved it last year and we just didn’t provide so just to show up to every game and give it my all for my team. The only reason I’m doing track this year is to end on a better note. Last year indoor was good, outdoor wasn’t so good. I’ve just been doing it for so long, I want to go out on a good note and work hard and see what I can do with it.

7. Who is your favorite athlete?
Sydney Leroux. She’s a women’s soccer player for the US national team.

8. What’s your favorite food?
Ice cream.

9. What’s your favorite movie?
Probably Warrior.

10. Who’s your favorite music artist?
Paramore.

11. What is your dream job?
I want to be an athletic director for a university.

''

NO COMMENTS