10 things incoming frosh should know.

Reddit has a thread where he asked college students “What high school habits should incoming freshmen stop before coming to college” The following list is what the author summarized from his question’s response.

1. For the love of god, do not wear your letterman jacket. Or class ring. Or lanyards.
  2. Do not wear shirts with your high school name, graduation date, class motto….etc.
  3. If you sit in the front row with a laptop, actually pay attention. Do not facebook, reddit, or play tetris.
  4. If you’re sick, you don’t need a note from your parents. (I love this one)
  5. If you’re in a long distance relationship, break up with him/her now. Don’t wait until Thanksgiving.
  6. Don’t eat loud food in class. (Please, please, please, follow this one)
  7. Don’t talk loudly in class. People are there to learn.
  8. Keep your high school gpa, sports accomplishments, SAT/ACT scores, awards to yourself. No one cares.
  9. Oh, You were in an AP class? No one cares.
  10. You were popular in high school? No one cares.
  11. You were a nerd in high school? No one cares.
  12. You think your professor is an a-hole? No one cares.
  13. You were prom king? No. ONE. CARES.

In essence, don’t take yourself too seriously. Approach college with a sense of humbleness. Don’t boast too much about your old self in high school. No one cares.

These came from students. The original poster started out the question by priming the pump (so to speak).  They included “You don’t need to ask permission to go to the bathroom.”   Bold in this list indicates my personal approval.  I generally approve of this list and it makes me think better of students, though I wouldn’t offer relationship advice.

I’m going to provide a  list with input from faculty, or from a teacher/ administrator perspective, such as  “Staple formal papers before handing them in.”