The No Classhole Rule

I‘ve written before about Robert Sutton’s book, The No Asshole Rule.  It’s a lodestone text in business classes written by a Stanford Business professor and developed from an article he published in The Harvard Business Review.  It’s a funny story.  It’s concise.  It’s authentic.

I see it as an extension of Kant’s categorical imperative and a passage from Confucius (“do not impose on others what you would not imposed on yourself” (obviously a paraphrase of a translation,  from The Analects  – sometimes confused with the golden rule, but actually quite distinct).

His well argued for language informed a new video over course policies I prepared for my comp 1 students this year.  I have had an epiphany about my class management.  I have never tolerated bullying toward other students, but allowed some disrespect aimed at myself because my ego is teflon coated, but in doing so, I may allow an ineffective atmosphere to develop where other students might get hurt or discouraged.  I may owe it to the class to be more assertive not due to personal threats to my security, but to preserve a positive classroom environment.