What is Assessment by Design?

Assessment by Design (ABD) is the Office of Assessment, Evaluation and Institutional Outcomes flagship workshop. This workshop guides all participants through the Cycle of Assessment with a goal of developing an assessment plan for the upcoming academic year. It also helps the participant understand assessing students is not what improves student learning, it is the educational intervention that faculty employ that makes the difference.

ABD is about making assessment meaningful and not a matter of compliance. The assessment process strives to:

• Document and improve student learning
  • Expand faculty involvement and control in assessment
  • Align assessment objectives with existing curriculum
  • Encourage, support, and recognize innovation in faculty-driven assessment
  • Analyze and support numerous approaches to meaningful assessment

Assessments that are focused on improving student learning provide faculty with data about their students and how well the curriculum is working in the classroom. This is a one-day interactive workshop providing course materials, an assessment book, snack breaks, lunch, and a certificate of completion. The AEIO staff looks forward to seeing you in January. Limited space is available. Please register using CRN 30087.

Feedback from prior faculty participants:

Thanks for the quality, variety, pace, and reference on this topic. I DO NOT regret coming in on my day off and thought this was a valuable workshop.

As a result of this workshop, I will be able to give real examples of how to move forward with the next steps to make our assessments more meaningful. Thank you for this great workshop!

I greatly appreciated the workbook for the class. The instructor was very responsive and constructive in her feedback. I am looking forward to sharing what I learned with my colleagues!