Honors Students

Rockhurst University

Q: Do you accept transfer students in your Honors Program/College?

A: Yes – Individuals may apply at any point in their time at Rockhurst, though beginning the program as a freshman or sophomore may make completing it easier due to having more time to fulfill the necessary requirements.

Q: How do transfer students apply to your Honors Program/College?

A: Applicants must complete a brief application and submit a short personal essay based on our specific prompt in the application.

  • Fall Review: first week of October
  • Spring Review: first week of March
  • Summer Review: second week of June

Q: What are your criteria for selection?

A: While we exercise judgment and flexibility in selecting motivated individuals to admit to the program, honors students typically meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • ACT Composite of 28 or higher
  • SAT Composite of 1230 or higher
  • Upper 10% of high school class
  • High School GPA of 3.5 or higher
  • College GPA of 3.3 or higher


Q: Does your institution offer a Phi Theta Kappa scholarship? If so, how much may transfer students count on? What are the restrictions?

A:$24,000 renewable scholarship and one full-ride scholarship given to a PTK scholar every year.

Q: Are transfer students eligible for honors-specific scholarships or awards?

A: Honors students are eligible for an honors award that will assist with unpaid experiences (such as study abroad, costs of getting to an internship site) and students are eligible for a need-based emergency aid when unexpected circumstances occur.

Q: What are your Honors Program/College completion requirements?

A: Students must fulfill the following four requirements to graduate with university honors:

  • A one-hour honors first-year seminar course (HNRS 177, HNRS 190, or HNRS 195).
  • At least 18 credit hours in a minimum of six honors courses. (Courses offered by the honors program, designated by an academic department as an honors course, or created through a course contract with instructor approval qualify, as do graduate courses at the 700 level or higher and two semesters maximum of a less commonly taught language.)
  • Four Enhanced Learning Experiences (ELEs) selected from eight options and submitted successfully.
  • A cumulative KU GPA of 3.25 or higher and demonstrated progress toward University Honors Program graduation requirements.


Q: Do you accept community college honors course credit or experiences toward completion of your Honors Program/College?

A: Yes. We’ll take up to 3 Honors-designated courses and up to 2 ELEs that line up with our KU categories from your community college experience.

Q: Does your Honors Program/College offer a seminar or track specific to transfer students? How do you support transfer students in your program?

A: Yes – transfer students and continuing KU students joining after their first semester have a designated transfer seminar (1 credit hour) in their first semester of honors. All students have an assigned advisor that they can map out a completion plan with.