The Spring_2015_PDD_Schedule8 is now available. Please note that it is an ever changing document, so please check often. Thank you!
Are you completing your 12 days of wellness logs? Your completed log will enter you into the drawings. Below is how you submit your logs. You do not want to miss out.
Grand prize- 100 gift card, JCCC bookstore donations, Free Carol Garman Massage, Free Nailery pedicure, JCCC Cavalier clothing and souvenirs, gift cards from Starbucks, Macy’s, CVS and more. Plus many holiday and wellness items.
Record all days and what you will do your 12th day and return the completed wellness log by Thursday, December 11th at 5 PM to Wellness Coordinator Ruth Dey with the following options:
- Place in 12 days completed log box in Human Resources (GEB 274)
or the JCCC fitness center
- Email all information to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm
- If you missed the deadline place in the bag for drawings at the reception before 9:45 am.
See you at the reception for food, drawings and fun. Dress up in your holiday attire.
Friday, December 12th 9:30-10:30 AM in COM 155
Note: If you cannot attend, please ask someone to pick up anything you may have won in the drawing.
12 Days of Wellness Activities List
Please notice you will need to go to the bottom of the page to download the 2014 12 days of wellness log and many activity ideas if you use this link below
Don’t miss this month’s terrific new features, including:
Curb Those Carb Cravings,Shoppercise! Make Shopping into a Workout
,Give Your Pet the Gift of Safety This Holiday,Superfoods—Or Supergimmicks?, Having Surgery? How to Choose the Best Hospital for You, 5 Ways to Better Your Body Language
2. Give up watching the news before you go to bed.
1. Turn the TV off until after you’ve discussed the day’s events with family.
2. Give 4 compliments in one day to one person and mean it.
1. Go to one or both: Yoga class, Thursday, Dec. 4 from 12:10-12:50 or Total Fitness Class Thursday evening, 5:10-6:00 PM in GYM 007
2. Wear a fitbit or pedometer and walk 10,000 steps today.
1. Include at least 5 vegetables in a day’s food choices (Recommendation is 7-13 fruits and veggies/day).
2. Pass on second helpings.
Day 3 of Your 12 days of Wellness
Here are a few suggestions for Wednesday Day 3.
1. Watch a video clips on youtube.com that make you laugh
2. Come to the presentation Today, Wednesday, Dec. 3rd “Tips on Stress Management” at 5:30 – 6:15 pm in CC 211 No enrollment required.
1. Take a picture with Santa today and bring your coworkers with you. 10 am – 2 pm in COM 319
2. Be present when celebrating the company of others
1. Workout in the Lifetime Fitness Center – If you have not had an Orientation call ext. 4432 and make an appointment for Thursday, December 11 at noon or 5:30 pm. Get your spouse to do it with you.
2. Do 15 minutes of stretching at your desk- search stretching videos.
1. Lower or pick one to lower -refined foods, hydrogenated oils, saturated fats, artificial sweetners, high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavoring and color, msg
2. If giving a party make certain to have healthy choices
Please notice you will need to go to the bottom of the page to download the 2014 12 days of wellness log and many activity ideas.
Here are a few suggestions for today.
1. Enroll Today:
Hush the Rush of the Holidays – Dec. 10, 2014 – 3 to 4:30 p.m. – CC 234 – CRN 34169
This time of year can be the “most wonderful” as the song says, but often it is the most stressful. In this workshop, we will explore ways to manage the frenzy so that we can be a part of the season without being consumed by it. Diane Doolin, RN, CYT will provide Tips for Taming the Frenzy and Tips for Enjoying Holiday Celebrations with Food and Drink. Enroll with CRN 34169 by December 8th.
2. Today —Come to the presentation “Tips on Stress Management” at 5:30 – 6:15 pm in CC 211 No enrollment required.
1. Go to the Holiday Tea in the Regnier Center and the Atrium between 2-3:30
2. Plan to go tonight-On Tuesday, Dec. 2, at 7:30 pm the Polsky Theatre in CC the JCCC Concert Band will present a joint concert with the New Horizons Concert Band. Featured works will include “Enchanted Spaces” and “Echoes,” both by Samuel Hazo and a special work by a student musician. The concert will be held in the Carlsen Center’s Yardley Hall.
3. Plan on taking your coworkers to get pictures with Santa tomorrow morning. 10 am – 2 pm in COM 319
1. Plan out your fitness activities for the next 2 weeks. Frequency, Intensity, Time and type of activity you will do. Put on your calendar and follow through.
2. Intentionally walk through campus and give at least 4 compliments to employees or students here at JCCC.
1. Drink at least 8 glasses of water today.
2. Eat a nutritious supper tonight.
12 days of Wellness Information begins on December 1 just came out on Infolist. Instructions, activity list and logging form are on InfoShare.
What is the JCCC Employee 12 Days of Wellness?
Each of the 12 Days you will log on the form provided. Select an activity from a list of 4 wellness areas-Fitness, Nutrition, Stress Management and Social Health. Your goal is to complete activities from all these areas to build onto your 12 days of wellness. You can choose from the list, or create your own. The objective is to perform activities that are meaningful steps toward enhancing your wellness profile. You may want to concentrate on a certain wellness area such as stress management, and set challenging, yet realistic goals for the 12 days. But don’t skip the other 3-perform a simple, less time-consuming activity on those days to make sure you are benefiting in all areas. Try to reinforce the previous day’s activity by repeating it or a related activity as you add new habits along the way.
Questions? Contact Ruth Dey at email@example.com
Feeling stressed from the day, week, month or year? Are your shoulder and neck muscles tight from working on the computer? What you need is a chair massage from a certified massage therapist right here on campus.
Schedule one for yourself or treat a co-worker. The location is RC 171.
Here are the details:
• Chair massages are available to faculty and staff Thursday, Nov. 13 and Friday, Nov. 14.
• 15-minute sessions cost $15.
• E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment.
Can’t make it in November? Chair massages will be offered December 11 and 12 and continue in the Spring. The chair massage program is sponsored by the JCCC Wellness for Life Employee Program.
Are you interested in learning how foam rolling is so good for your muscles? In this session, Deborah Bowers, adjunct professor of physical education, will demonstrate how to do it properly. “Foam Roller Massage” sessions have been scheduled on the following dates and times:
• Monday, Nov. 3: 11 to 11:45 a.m., CC 232
• Monday, Nov. 10: 5:15 to 6 p.m., CC 232
Looking to gain more benefits from your fitness-training program? Patti Triplett, adjunct professor of physical education, will be the instructor for “Implementing the FITT Principle” and will explain how you can begin to accomplish this goal on the following dates and times:
• Tuesday, Nov. 4: 9 to 9:45 a.m., CC 232
• Thursday, Nov. 6: 10 to 10:45 a.m., ATB 129
In the upcoming “Weight Machines” session, Deborah Bowers, adjunct professor of physical education, will demonstrate how to properly use the weight machines in the JCCC Fitness Center.
• Saturday, Nov. 8. 3 to 3:45 p.m., GYM 103
Pre-registration is not required to attend these sessions
In observance of the Great American SmokeOut, a national event intended to stop tobacco use, JCCC faculty and staff may attend a FREE workshop to help stop smoking.
Registration: 8:15 a.m. Workshop: 8:30 to 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 11, participants from JCCC are invited to Saint Luke’s Muriel I. Kauffman Women’s Heart Center Conference Room, 4401 Wornall Road, Kansas City. Here experts will:
- Review the impact of smoking and hypertension on cardiovascular health.
- Discuss gender-related risks of smoking and high blood pressure (for both men and women)
- Understand the role of the brain and habits in nicotine addiction
- Master the steps of successful behavior change for tobacco cessation
To register for this free workshop, contact eap@saint-luke’s.org or (816) 931-3073 or (800) 327-1223.
For questions, contact Debbie Eisenhower, staff development/human resources coordinator, at ext. 7634 or email@example.com.