Now, an easier way to find the JCCC Wellness group on Facebook:
In your favorite web browser, go to:
- Click Join Group.
The JCCC Wellness page on Facebook is ready for your status updates. Here’s the steps to join the group:
- Log into FB.
- Type the word wellness in the search box
- At the bottom of the search results, click See More Results for wellness
- Depending on how FB is configured, look for the word Groups at the top or in the left-hand list.
- Click Groups.
- JCCC Wellness will show up in the list.
- Click the JCCC Wellness group, and click the Join Group button.
Want to see Wellness updates in your inbox? Subscribe to this blog, and see updates when we post.
- In the left-hand column, find the box labeled Subscribe by Email.
- Enter your email address (you may use your JCCC email address or a personal email address).
- Click the Subscribe button.
Hurry! December 1, 2014 is deadline to submit your recipes!
In the spring semester of 2015, the JCCC Nutrition Club plans on publishing a campus cookbook, created by students, faculty, and staff. That means the recipes needed to be collected this fallso the cookbooks can be published and sold in the spring.
Club members are calling for your favorite recipes to submit in the following categories:
Both hard (paper) copies or electronic copies will be accepted, but handwritten recipes must be printed legibly.
Be sure to include with your copy:
- Your name (first and last)
- E-mail address or phone number (We may need to contact you if something is not legible, or if your recipe is missing something)
- Category into which you are submitting
How to deliver your recipe:
- If submitting electronically, please type the recipe on an 8×11 document (saving as a pdf or Word file) and attach it to an email, making the body of your email message the information included in “Be sure to include with your copy.” Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If submitting a hard (paper) copy, place the recipe and the “Be sure to include with your copy” information in a drop box outside of HCA103L, or send through interdepartmental mail in care of Anna Page, club advisor, Box 78
Pictures of the recipes will not be accepted, but pictures of food are highly encouraged.
Hurry! The recipe submission deadline is Monday, Dec. 1!
The Educational Technology Center is offering short workshops on Desire2Learn. No registration is required for these sessions.
These hands-on demos plus Q and A will last 50 minutes, with time available afterwards for those who would like additional one-on-one support.
Scheduled sessions are:
D2L Gradebook, Wednesday, 8/27, 1-3 p.m., LIB 373, Bob Epp
D2L Gradebook, Thursday, 8/28, 5-7 p.m., LIB 373, Saul Epstein
D2L Quizzes, Tuesday, 9/2, 3-5 p.m., LIB 373, Davy Jones
D2L Basics, Wednesday, 9/3, 2-4 p.m., LIB 373, Jeff Kosko
D2L Gradebook, Monday, 9/8, 2-4 p.m., LIB 373, Saul Epstein
D2L Gradebook, Thursday, 9/11, 3-5 p.m., LIB 373, Zack Zahringer
D2L Basics, Monday, 9/15, 1-3 p.m., LIB 373, Paul McCourt
D2L Quizzes, Thursday, 9/18, 5-7 p.m., LIB 373, Zack Zahringer
D2L Basics, Tuesday, 9/23, 5-7 p.m., LIB 373, Bob Epp
D2L Gradebook, Wednesday, 9/24, 5-7 p.m., LIB 373, Davy Jones
D2L Quizzes, Monday, 9/29, 2-4 p.m., LIB 373, Jeff Kosko
D2L Basics, Thursday, 10/2, 1-3 p.m., LIB 373, Paul McCourt
D2L Basics, Tuesday, 10/7, 2-4 p.m., LIB 373, Vincent Miller
D2L Basics, Wednesday, 10/8, 1-3 p.m., LIB 373, Vincent Miller
For the D2L iTeach training series offered by Ed Lovitt, see http://tinyurl.com/d2l-train-continued
You are always welcome to stop by LIB 375, or make an appointment with an Ed Tech Analyst at email@example.com or ext. 3842.
Also let us know if you’d like D2L or other educational technology training customized for your department or work group.
Director, Educational Technology Center
913.469.8500, ext. 4711
Need CPR/AED Training or want to complete the training and missed the sessions during August PDD?……No worries…JCCC Employees can select one of the two additional sessions that have been scheduled this fall. See below for more information:
Time: 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Location: RC 181
Please register with CRN: 34130
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Location: RC 175
Please register with CRN: 34129
See what Training Magazine and the research has to say about keeping your body moving.
During last week’s Professional Development Days we learned that JCCC’s partnership with St. Luke’s Health System Lifewise Employee Assistance Program (EAP) was unfamiliar to some employees.
Services are paid for by JCCC for employees, spouses and domestic partners, and dependent family members. Services are confidential. There are five locations locally and more than 40,000 providers in the global network to service those outside the greater Kansas City area.
Check out the St. Luke’s Lifewise EAP website for articles, videos, services provided, how to make an appointment, and so on. The user name is JCCC and the password is EAP.
Work out with your JCCC colleagues in the employee fitness classes with an instructor to assist you. Please register using the CRN number; instructions on how to register are below.
• Total Fitness: 12:10 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, GYM 007, Patty Triplett. Many aspects of fitness will be included in the class, including toning, step class, aerobics and more. CRN #34065. Begins Aug. 18.
• Weight Training and Conditioning: 12:10 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, GYM 022, Stephen Taylor. The instructor will take you through weight training and conditioning with variations on all three days. CRN # 34068. Begins Aug. 18.
• Tai Chi: 12:10 p.m. Tuesdays, GYM 007, Sally Gordon. This gentle form of exercise can prevent or ease many ills of aging and could be the perfect activity for the rest of your life. Tai chi is often described as “meditation in motion,” but it might well be called “medication in motion.” There is growing evidence that this mind-body practice, which originated in China as a martial art, has value in treating or preventing many health problems. And you can get started even if you aren’t in top shape or the best of health. No special clothing is required…come as you are. CRN #34067 Begins Aug. 19.
• Evening Total Fitness: 5:10 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, GYM 007, Patty Triplett. Many aspects of fitness will be included in the class, including toning, step class, aerobics, and more. CRN #34066. Begins Aug. 19. (No class on Sept. 2,4; Oct. 7,9,14)
• Zumba: 5:10-5:50 p.m. Monday and Wednesdays, GYM 007, Victoria Gunbatar. Zumba® Fitness exercise classes blend upbeat world rhythms with easy-to-follow choreography for a total-body workout that is exhilarating and effective but feels more like a celebration! Come join the fun with licensed Zumba® Fitness instructor Victoria Gunbatar. CRN #34070. Begins Aug. 18
• Yoga: 12:10 p.m. Thursdays, GYM 007, Andrea Beattie Nelson. The class is beginner to intermediate level yoga, and it progresses through the semester. Yoga is an integrative discipline that teaches strength, flexibility, endurance and harmony. Participants say yoga has added balance to their day and life. The relaxation techniques have rejuvenated them for the rest of the day. This activity adds strength and flexibility. CRN #34069. Begins Aug. 21.
How to sign up for Fall 2014 employee fitness classes
Follow these steps to register for the employee fitness classes:
- Choose the class you wish to take and have the CRN number ready
- Log on to the college webpage http://www.jccc.edu and then log into MyJCCC.
- Click on the “My View” tab
- At the right Click on the green ADD/DROP CLASSES button located in the Staff Development window
- Select the Term by dropping down to Staff Dev 2014-2015
- Enter the CRN number(s). Click Submit
After registering, you will receive an email confirmation to your @jccc.edu email address.
Interested in what technology might be doing to the brain? What impact the Internet has had on the inner workings of the mind? Join the Brain-Based Book Group this fall for a lively discussion of The New York Times best-seller, “The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing To Our Brains,” by Nicholas Carr. The book is described as “part intellectual history, part popular science, and part cultural criticism.”
The group will meet from noon to 12:50 p.m. Tuesdays, starting Sept. 9, in GEB 264. Books are available through Staff Development for those who will be participating in the discussions.
Register through Staff Development in EASI with CRN 34037.
Questions? Contact Charis Sawyer at ext. 3748 or Marilyn Shopper at ext. 3387
Openings are available! Don’t miss out!
Don’t miss the Biometric Screenings (Wellness Profiles) conducted by Blue Cross/Blue Shield, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 14, RC 270, or 7 a.m. to noon, Friday, Aug. 15, RC 270. Health care plan and opt out plan employees may make an appointment at http://members.bluekc.com. Use your member login, or register for access. Walk-in appointments available for part time employees!
Check the PDD Schedule for dates and times of these AND FREE Chair Massages.