Honors Students

University of Central Missouri

Do you accept transfer students in your Honors Program/College?

Yes! In order to be considered for admission to The Honors College, transfer students must first be admitted to UCM and fulfill two of the four entry requirements.

  • A minimum cumulative OR content college GPA of 3.25, whichever is higher.
  • An ACT minimum superscore of 25.
  • A student-led product addressing how the applicant embodies the mission of the UCM Honors College. The product can take many forms based on the student’s area of study, including, but not limited to: a traditional written essay (around 500 words), a multimedia presentation, or a theatrical/artistic performance.
  • A letter of recommendation that can speak to how the applicant embodies the mission of the UCM Honors College.

How do transfer students apply to your Honors Program/College?

Students can find the application on the website (which will ask for the requirements detailed above). Applicants will be informed of a decision within two weeks of receipt of their application. A one-time, NON-REFUNDABLE $100 fee will be billed to your student revenue account if you are accepted into The Honors College.

Do you have any honors-specifics scholarships or awards?

Honors students are eligible for up to $2,000 in grants for study abroad and research/creative activities

Does your institution offer a Phi Theta Kappa scholarship? If so, how much may transfer students count on? What are the restrictions?

$750 per semester, renewable for up to 6 semesters.

What are your Honors Program/College completion requirements?

  • Maintain a 3.25 or higher cumulative OR content GPA, whichever is higher.
  • Honors College students have two options for their Knowledge Area I general education requirement.
    • Option 1: Students take one Literature, one Fine Arts, and one Language course (not an additional Literature, Fine Arts Class, or Humanities) for their Knowledge Area I general education requirements.
    • Option 2: Students take one Literature, one Fine Arts, and one additional Literature, Fine Arts or Humanities course for their Knowledge Area I general education requirements AND participate in a UCM-sponsored (3-credit hours or more) study abroad program. This option is only available to students who have not already substituted study abroad for HONR 3000.
  • Honors College students are required to fulfill one of their general education requirements through an Honors College-only section within an knowledge area.
  • Honors College students take a 3-credit colloquium, HONR 3000, an interdisciplinary course taught by our Faculty Fellows.
    • The topics of these colloquium change every semester, but all involve an experiential component sponsored by The Honors College.
  • Honors College students complete an honors project, HONR 4000, an independent study representing the culmination of their studies at UCM.
    • Projects come in all forms and represent a variety of disciplines, but all involve one-on-one mentorship for our exceptional UCM faculty.

Does your program accept work from community colleges to meet completion requirements?

Our program does not accept any transfer credits at this time. However, there are substitutions that make our program more flexible for transfer students. Instead of taking an Honors Gen-Ed, students can take an additional HONR 3000 course. Additionally, a study abroad experience can be substituted for HONR 3000.

What is the best contact for more questions?


Additionally, we have information about our benefits and requirements on our social media: benefits and requirements

When do you recommend applying?

Our application is always open for all incoming and current students. To take advantage of our benefits, especially early-enrollment and our classes, students should apply before the fall semester begins. They will be unable to enroll in honors courses until their application will be accepted. That being said, there is no specific date they need to apply by.