Health Information Systems – HCIS
Adjunct Professor Nan Abbot and HCIS Advisory Board member and program mentor Amanda Cavner were selected to present HIMSS23 Emerging Healthcare Leaders Poster Session at the 2023 HIMSS Global Health Conference & Exhibition in Chicago held in April 2023.
The HCIS program was recognized by HIMSS, the health IT industry global professional organization, on the HCIS LinkedIn page. The HIMSS VP of Professional Development and the Director of Professional Development both made comments on a post. The HIMSS VP of Professional Development now follows the HCIS page. The JCCC HCIS LinkedIn page has attracted 83 new followers this semester.
Fall 2022 HCIS internship update:
Remote internship with Atchison Community Health Clinic (FQHC)
- Assisted the COO with an EHR update.
- Completed cybersecurity project regarding the levels of EHR access per staff role and responsibilities
Remote internship with Saint Luke’s Health System
- 50% Observation & shadowing different departments, interviewing department supervisors, participating in meetings
- 50% Project: Data scrubbing/cleansing of SLHS database for appropriate document types
Remote internship with Vibrant Health
- Learned new a EHR and most recent systems updates
- Develop PowerPoint presentations on updates for different functions of the EHR for each of the different members of the healthcare team (RNs, medical assistants and administrators)
Information Technology-Networking and Cybersecurity
The Information Technology-Networking department hosted its Fall 2022 Cybersecurity Competition in the IT 239- Ethical Hacking course. The two winning students elected to receive CompTIA PenTest+ vouchers, which give them an attempt at the industry certification exam.
The Information Technology-Networking department is partnering with Blue Valley School District to provide students with the opportunity to come to campus and complete the Cybersecurity Certificate as part of the Career Ready program. We had a cohort of nine students begin the Fall 2022 semester, and seven will continue to the Spring 2023 semester. We also plan to start a new cohort the Fall 2023 semester.
Web Development and Digital Media – WEB
JCCC alumnus and WDDM Advisory Board member Edgar Esparza, from Dimensional Innovations, visited Whitney Bandel’s Emerging Technology course to speak to students about his personal experiences within the web development industry post-graduation as well as the latest technologies and projects that are being done at his current place of employment. Students learned about designing for touchscreen kiosk interfaces, projection mapping, physical microcontrollers and sensors, as well as using body tracking and depth sensing cameras to make interactive television displays.