Baseball Operations: Team Administration/Operations
Lead Developer, Baseball Systems – Kansas City Royals (Kansas City, MO)
The Kansas City Royals Baseball Club is seeking a highly motivated developer to support baseball operations and lead the development of backend systems as well as oversee the development of tools/applications. The ideal applicant will be able to manage multiple concurrent projects that facilitate enhanced communications, reporting, and other interactions between teams internal to the organization.
- Monitor, maintain, and improve current data operations
- Manage receipt, storage, merging, and formatting of multiple data sources (flat files, APIs, database pulls, etc.)
- Administer daily task monitoring to ensure data health, quality insurance, and reliability of systems
- Develop schema, optimize performance, and manage testing of databases of various sizes
- Develop, test, and optimize performance and accuracy of scripts used to calculate derived data
- Automate, manage, and report data lifecycle based on retention and storage requirements
- Maintain security and other updates
- Investigate and implement solutions for new data sources and organizational needs
- Design novel storage and schema plans
- Optimize databases to accommodate new data feeds, models, and reports
- Automate reports and other tasks that are used on a regular basis
- Establish APIs to reduce the number of raw queries being run in code
- Ensure that systems and solutions are in line with organizational objectives
- 4 year degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or related field or equivalent experience is required
- Ability to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours during the baseball season is a must
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to interact and work with staff at all levels
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of work materials and issues as appropriate
- Experience with the following tools, platforms, and business data is required:
- Four years of experience with Python
- Significant industry experience working as lead on development teams
- Strong knowledge of Django, Flask, or similar
- Advanced management of SQL
- Administration of UNIX-based servers (Linux, Mac, etc.)
- Management of multi-tiered deployment environments (development, staging, production, etc.)
- Multi-threaded/parallel-process applications
- Experience with the following tools, platforms and business data is preferred:
- Business intelligence is preferred
- Baseball knowledge and exposure to baseball statistics
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
- Do you have a 4 year degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or a related field?
- Are you able to work evenings, weekends, and holiday hours?
- Do you have 4 years experience with Python?
- Do you have significant industry experience working as a lead on development teams?