Department: Information Technology
HR/Payroll Job Title: IT Assistant Programmer
Working Title: Full Stack Web Developer
Appointment Type: Full-time, permanent
Position Number: 00208119
Supervisor: Matthew Copeland, Library Development & Application Services, University of Kansas
Last Updated: April 28th, 2016
This position provides web development support services for the KU Libraries. Their skillsets will be applied to library management and scholarly communications systems such as the Drupal-based Library Website, digital collections and online exhibits, the institutional repository, and search and discovery tools, and other applications related to teaching, learning and research at the university.
This position is responsible for the development, maintenance, and support of web sites and applications from conception to end of life. This responsibility includes user experience design, dynamic interactivity, integrating applications with external systems, and accessibility. This position will utilize existing purchased or open-sourced software (such as Drupal, Islandora, Omeka, etc), and will be asked to investigate and create custom solutions.
Example projects for this position would include:
- Use a programming language to add new features to a web application
- Optimize web content for the end-user experience, accessibility, and SEO
Reporting in KU Information Technology, the position is part of a team that works in partnership with Libraries staff to provide quality information services to the user community. This position will be communicating with staff in both the Libraries and Information Technology on a daily basis.
- 50% – Web Development & Support
- Develops, improves upon, and maintains applications, both open-source and vendor-solutions, using appropriate programming languages and tools.
- Recommends user experience enhancements for Libraries websites and applications.
- Works with Libraries staff to verify, document, report, and resolve incidents and problems to technical support staff, either internal or vendor. Tracks, tests, and reports resolution.
- Writes and organizes technical documentation required to maintain websites and applications
- 15% – Assists in innovating new services and solutions.
- Works closely with Libraries and IT management groups to consider and implement new solutions and services that allow users to access, integrate, manipulate, and use electronic information.
- Researches and recommends new technologies and interface-designs
- Evaluate and implement ADA best practices for online technologies
- 15% – Client Collaboration and Support
- Works closely with clients, other developers, and members of the university community to understand and contribute to project needs
- 10% – Project Planning
- In consultation with the designated IT and Libraries staff, creates project plans and carries out prioritized projects related to ongoing support and service delivery, coordinating with other IT and Libraries units as needed.
- Participates in IT Service management including incident and problem resolution.
- Meets regularly with IT and Libraries service teams.
- 10% Other duties as assigned.
- Effective written and interpersonal communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- Experience working in a team environment as evidenced by application materials.
- Associate Degree OR High School Diploma with 2 years of related professional work experience
- Experience working with a Content Management System (CMS), Drupal preferred.
- Experience with a web applications framework such as Symphony, Rails, Zend, etc.
- Experience using SQL to work with a relational databases such as MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, etc.
- Familiarity with XML/XSLT and JSON
- Familiarity with metadata standards and formats for library systems (e.g., Dublin Core, MODS) and protocols for search and retrieval (e.g. OAI-PHM)
- Experience with graphic design using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or other tools
- Experience in a Linux environment.
- Experience using a version control system (Git preferred.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- This position shares in responsibility for information security by following all applicable security policies and procedures.
- This position is authorized to use elevated privilege accounts in the performance of job duties.
- This position is authorized to issue password resets in accordance with established procedure in the performance of job duties.
- This position is authorized to handle sensitive or confidential data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.